1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

California teens to get online "eraser button"

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Chimpie, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Chimpie

Chimpie Well-Known Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/24/teens-online-eraser-button-california_n_3976808.html

This is supposed to take effect in 2015. Will you have to make any changes to your forum?

Also, something interesting to think about... (from the article)

So I guess quoted posts will be allowed to stay.

Thoughts?

2. Poltergeist

Poltergeist Active Member

If you are not in California and the server is not in California how are they going to enforce the law? I don't see as any different then the UK law that a forum has to delete a user if they request it; I don't live there and my server is not there.

DBA and Adam Howard like this.
  3. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

Give it a while.... If it starts in 1 place is usually doesn't stick to just 1 place. Crazy laws like this spread as if they were a virus of some sort.

4. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

DBA, Jake Bunce and SneakyDave like this.
  5. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

6. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I suspect that deletion rights would mostly be exercised on conspicuous, and hence syndicated content which falls squarely under the jurisdiction of this massive donut hole in the legislation.

This law basically allows minors the right to lock the barn after the horse has escaped. The mistake is not realized until after the horse has escaped at which point it's too late.

I think we should focus on counseling children on how to deal with their inevitable mistakes rather than giving them a means to ineffectively place the burden of responsibility on some one else.

yavuz, Flexin, jmurrayhead and 7 others like this.
  7. Poltergeist

Poltergeist Active Member

Also the law probably does not take into account data mining companies. Good luck getting them to delete the info.

Adam Howard likes this.
  8. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 Well-Known Member

I'd sooner closer the board to minors.

California residents must be 18 or older to use this site because you live in a commie nanny state.

9. Chimpie

Chimpie Well-Known Member

As part of our DMCA Statement, we have written:
    Therefore, if the member creates a post, we will not remove it just because they ask.

This. Off topic: Is this being taught in schools? And if so, in which classes?

We currently restrict our community (www.emtlife.com) to those 13 and older, and have thought about raising the age to 18. We're watching to see how this progresses, and are ready to raise the age if needed. The question then is raised, what to do with our current members who are under the age of 18?

10. EQnoble

EQnoble Well-Known Member

Well, technically speaking if you say that you have to be 18 to view this page, it is up to the underage person to not be a liar or not to take your rules seriously and then fake their age when signing up. Later on down the road if their parents want to make a stink...ultimately their kids lied to gain access so their problem really started before the internet or a website and that problem is clearly based on trust between child and parent and parent is looking for a whipping boy...

Now I am all for protecting kids and I can see removing or editing a post wisely when need be done but there is no way someone can force me to make a system to validate if a child is making believe they are 18 and there is no way for me to prove someone is not lying about who they are so if I put you must 18 to sign up and they lie, there is no content they post which is not personally identifying, threatening or in the insinuation of violence which I am compelled to modify or allow for modifying in any way if I so choose. If a parent were to identify themselves properly to me and request me to make it difficult or ban the child then I would do so but other than that I have no way of knowing and really don't have the time to worry about it.

If you want your kids to not visit specific sites it is your responsibility to teach them that or restrict their access if that's what you want to do. You teach your kids to look both ways if they have to cross the road, you don't teach them that mommy and daddy will stop traffic so you can play street hockey at your leisure in the road. Bottom line: raise your kids.

What a waste of legislation.

0xym0r0n and jmurrayhead like this.
  11. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

Do you know how many people would be pissed off by that?

The annoying thing is, I'm not sure whether you were being sarcastic or not...

Anyhow, doesn't concern me. Moving along...

12. BirdOPrey5

Zero of my members by my count. We don't have many young people at all.

13. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

Which one is that? I'm assuming that doesn't include non-posters ;)

14. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

How old would you say your youngest member is?

15. BirdOPrey5

That I know of, 19 or 20... This will be their sophomore year of college.

Amaury likes this.
  16. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

Well, I'm a member of both your forums (now), so that statistic was just invalidated.

Oh, I started posting, about 5 minutes ago.

BirdOPrey5 likes this.
  17. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

There is no formal place to learn personal responsibility. It is usually taught by parents if at all.

psTubble27 and Amaury like this.
  18. MikeMpls

MikeMpls Well-Known Member

Day after day, more people come to L.A.
    Shhh, don't you tell anybody the whole place slippin' away.

19. Quillz

Quillz Well-Known Member

Doubt this will ever be enforced.

20. RickM

RickM Well-Known Member

This has zero effect on forums. Yet another 'OMG Forums Are Doomed' thread.

Amaury likes this.