California teens to get online "eraser button"

This has zero effect on forums. Yet another 'OMG Forums Are Doomed' thread.

More like a "does this affect forums" thread. I don't think anyone thought it would harm membership unless they actual catered to teens.

Has anyone ever actually heard of a forum being directly affected by these laws that are clearly designed to target Facebook, Twitter and social networking sites? I mean, I realize some admins have membership in the thousands. But do you think forums even get noticed when something like this goes into affect? Has anyone ever heard of it happening, even anecdotally?

Ah another law to enforce lack of parenting. Ah how about watching watch your kids do on the internet!! Oh and don't give them a phone they can text on or access the internet on-a phone just for emergencies or to call home for a ride home... and so on. Imagine! Parenting! What an concept.

Isn't California overdue for a major earthquake anyways? Like don't they have a major one every 150 years?
I've been through a big one in 1999 when I was stationed there but it didn't cause massive damage due to where it occurred.

Well, when people don't necessarily "parent" their kids, they weren't necessarily properly parented themselves. However, the laws are supposed to be a way to address cyberbullying and the fact that kids are stupid. I mean, why wouldn't they be. They're kids. If they had experience they would be adults. Yes, parents are supposed to be the force that governs and teaches them how to not do stupid things. But, all of us having been kids ourselves, we know full well that even the most effective parenting will hardly prevent that from ever happening. Repeatedly.

With that said, I don't really see how the law functions as enforcing parenting. Seems like the parent is completely left out of the equation. I don't even really see how it functions as it's designed to function.

This has zero effect on forums. Yet another 'OMG Forums Are Doomed' thread.

Considering that it was just signed into law and won't take effect for two years, of course it won't have any effect ... just yet.

On the other hand, 1 of every 8 Americans resides in California, and many of the other 7 obtain internet services from businesses with a presence in California. If your forum chooses to do business with children, it could get messy in a couple years.

I suspect that deletion rights would mostly be exercised on conspicuous, and hence syndicated content which falls squarely under the jurisdiction of this massive donut hole in the legislation.

This law basically allows minors the right to lock the barn after the horse has escaped. The mistake is not realized until after the horse has escaped at which point it's too late.

I think we should focus on counseling children on how to deal with their inevitable mistakes rather than giving them a means to ineffectively place the burden of responsibility on some one else.
Very insightful. Very true.

Top Bottom