California Case Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kier doesnt even have to say anything, just come on and give us a dang smiley face or something :p
That's kind-off worse than saying nothing IMHO... it leaves people to further speculate more nonsense. Paperwork isn't final, thus smugness can undo the best of legal agreements before finalised... and that is whether XF have anything to be smug about, or VB.

Until there is something in writing, speculation and attributing to such, is just causing nonsense.

I have mixed feelings about this. I fear the worst but hope for the best. Either way, it's good that it's over with, especially for KAM.

It'll be interesting to see how things develop from this point on.

It's either a 10-long page essay on what happened by KAM or a short one with whatever the outcome is and to on with it.

I wonder if it's a coincidence that Internet Brands just settled their other infamous case, the whole Wikitravel/IB vs Wikimedia/Wikivoyage lawsuit. Did an exec at IB give the legal teams a little extra leash to get all their cases settled?

Looking at both lawsuits, I'm hopeful that this lawsuit came out fairly enough that KAM will be able to keep Xenforo going as a business in some way. (Worst case kickstart the next version or try to get into a Y Combinator batch?)

It's over. KAM can live again without fear of this ********. Congrats, KAM. Whatever the outcome you fought long, you fought hard, and you fought well against a foe that was bigger, better funded, and used - in the opinion of many - unscrupulous tactics. Know that there are a LOT of us who are with you, have been with you, and will continue to be with you through this ordeal.

I await the decision information with baited breath and crossed fingers.

It's over. KAM can live again without fear of this bull****. Congrats, KAM. Whatever the outcome you fought long, you fought hard, and you fought well against a foe that was bigger, better funded, and used - in the opinion of many - unscrupulous tactics. Know that there are a LOT of us who are with you, have been with you, and will continue to be with you through this ordeal.

I await the decision information with baited breath and crossed fingers.
Damnit, Dave, get back to Halforums, GIT, GIT!

Guys anybody know what are the exact terms of this settlement ?? Is there any(any) possibility of negative outcome :(

Always, but probably not. XenForo under normal circumstances would be happy to go to trial. Who wouldn't when the plantiff's own expert witnesses say you have no case?

Then why didn't they? Why did they stop now to settle? If they had no case, whats the excuse for a year of absence from the community?

Censorship yes, call a spade a spade. Not 100% censorship. Negative ideas have been permitted, but have been restricted. Their points are here for all to see. Just not free to keep repeating and flooding them.

When a community has been struggling through tough times it is best to speak positively to help everyone cope and keep going. Why make people miserable unnecessarily? We're none of us stupid. We know there has been a risk of losing because the law can be ...... [insert rude word] But we don't need to have the risk ground in our faces.

Also exaggerated noise about a takeover, based on no evidence at all, is cruelly irresponsible. Although everyone here is intelligent - you cannot run a board if you're an idiot - the written word always carries some authority and influence. Less experiemced members can easily get the impression that a negative fantasy comment like that is coming from a place of authority that it does not have.

It's about right in my opinion.

I'm forced to wonder if you believe the things you type or if you do it just so you can have a reason to reply to things?

Then why didn't they? Why did they stop now to settle? If they had no case, whats the excuse for a year of absence from the community?

I'm always scared of legal issues, and when it comes to your whole life (as in the business you started by yourself and are basing your family's future on it) I would be 100 times more scared, so I'm pretty sure that's a good excuse to leave things at a pause until the legal matters are resolved one way or another.

Business is business. Rather settle now, then win trial later. If the settlement was **** they probably would of went to trial. The mutual release thing is just to make IB feel like they had a case. As for the absence, personally, if I was being sued up the ass by a million dollar company, I wouldn't say **** either.

*This assumption is based for normal circumstances and is based on the fact that information like the expert witness that was provided is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom