• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Calendar

Craig

Good morning to you all.

I am looking for a calendar that will allow me to add events and the like. I would also like it to update the forum page. something similar to how vB and IPB have their calendars set up.

Thank you in advance!

Isn't xtendo more of an event planner than a calendar though? I remember looking at that early on and found that it's easy to use if you have a place and a time but not just to mark something down to note something.

Isn't xtendo more of an event planner than a calendar though? I remember looking at that early on and found that it's easy to use if you have a place and a time but not just to mark something down to note something.
Yep, which is why for now I'm not using it. An organization that I am helping out with is using a Yahoo Calendar that I'm linking to from XF. Not pretty but it works for their needs.

My "Wish List" item for a calendar type system would be one that is merged with the forum threads. (If anybody is interested, or really bored :p, here is a thread at LaunchForum with Joe Ward with some free thinking ideas of a singular universal content type.)

The problem, in my opinion, is that calendar as implemented by vBulletin is essentially a sand-boxed feature that exists entirely in its own ecosystem.
Yes, this was a key failure to the vB calendar. Of the Blog Posts as well.
Listing Events such that they show up in the What's New ? is a no brainer idea.

To start, I would like to get rid of the idea of a "thread" versus an image "album" versus a calendar "event" versus a collection of "links" versus an "article" versus just about any other content type. Instead I would like to have a single "entry" object.
I love this line of thinking. I feel much the same way ... but with a bit more structure than you propose.

Content Types:
1) Post
2) Gallery image
3) Event
4) Link
5) Article
X) Content Type X.

6) Pages
7) Wiki item
8) Downloads (files, etc.)

Did you know that xenforo essentially has your "Content Types" idea already ?
Forinstance, Jaxel created a xenforo content type for his wiki entries.
I do not know if XFR albums created images as a xenforo content type.
Jaxel says that Xenforo's What's New listing only lists posts ..... but that if the what's new allowed listing of all the content types .... XenCarta users would be able to see wiki items show up in What's new !!
So, essentially xenforo has the bare bones structure for what you desire for content types.

I love your idea about content agnostic posting. It is a great idea ... but the devil is always in the details.
In some respects, your free form posting idea would create alot of moderator work to put some structure on the content.
The lack of structure may also give you less SEO.
Some practical things like ... do you really want EVERYONE to be able to add to the Calendar ?

I also think a well done "Pages" function could accomplish much of what you desire.

You idea is certainly worth thinking about more ... and doesn't deserve to be buried in this thread !

How about making a thread of it's own ?

Another option for integrating different Content Types with the main "hustle and bustle" of the Forums would be for Content items to have "Placeholder redirects". It could be a more practical idea to accomplish what you desire.

Often formatting of items can make them feel quite different.
Forinstance Jaxel Styled one of his forums to look like more of an article system.
His news and annoucement forum : http://8wayrun.com/forums/news-announcements.78/
The articles look like this:
http://8wayrun.com/threads/hate-speech-a-formal-introduction.8213/

Top Bottom