Caching? Best way to do it etc

Glockie

Hello all,
I've carried out some searches using this and other searches for caching, and brutally honest? I am unsure what to do.
I've also come across this thread too which helped with some things;
https://xenforo.com/community/threa...slow-compared-to-vbulletin.97070/#post-927711

So, I use a digital ocean droplet, Xeon dual core 4GB RAM and 60GB SSD.
We're running Ubuntu 14.04 and Virtualmin
I am looking at some server performance tweaks and thought caching may help, with this, what are the best options - such as memcache and or memcached and what is the best way to do it?

All hints and tips would be gratefully received.
Ultimately, the forums are quick, but they have slowed down a touch. So I was looking at ways at hopefully speeding it up and of course using memcache or a caching technique.

A lot of this is very new to me for server management, so I would appreciate all and any pointers.
Thank you so much! :)

Caching didnt really make my forum fast alone. Its one important thing. Like a fast CPU. Or enough RAM for the database and its indexes.

Use PHP 5.6.9 with ZendOpcache
Use Nginx 1.9.1 instead of Apache
Use MariaDB instead of Oracle Mysql

Caching didnt really make my forum fast alone. Its one important thing. Like a fast CPU. Or enough RAM for the database and its indexes.

In all fairness the site is seriously quick, and I don't really suffer slow downs, although I will admit for me at least, it does seem a tad slower - sometimes, but only here and there - but I am looking at better ways to increase and optimise the performance of the site.
I'm aware that it's only one other factor, and we use an extremely fast server - thanks to Digital Ocean, but just trying to optimise it more really. Enhance it if you will.

Use PHP 5.6.9 with ZendOpcache
Use Nginx 1.9.1 instead of Apache
Use MariaDB instead of Oracle Mysql

Hmm I am on tPHP version 5.5.9
I do use Apache yes and run it through virtualmin, is it easy to move to Nginx from Apache on a live site? I have heard and read lots of info about Nginx, and it seems most members here are using it.
Perhaps I should have done that from the start? :(

Again yes I am using MySql - I used to use MariaDB when I hosted. But once more Roldan, how easy is it to migrate on a live site??

Also, I have read here about balancing? Have no idea what where or how to.

I appreciate all feedback and replies as it will help me with deciding what to do. As I said, the site is very fast, but I know I do need to optimise it more and go over some things....
I just don't know how to and/or what to utilise and use.

Many thanks both. :)

Last edited:
is it easy to move to Nginx from Apache on a live site? I have heard and read lots of info about Nginx, and it seems most members here are using it.
Perhaps I should have done that from the start? :(
Again yes I am using MySql - I used to use MariaDB when I hosted. But once more Roldan, how easy is it to migrate on a live site??
I suggest you do it all first on test environment.

Nginx and Apache works differently and same as configs.
But Mysql Oracle and MariaDB almost works the same, Mariadb has some new configs that you can add.

I suggest you do it all first on test environment.

Nginx and Apache works differently and same as configs.
But Mysql Oracle and MariaDB almost works the same, Mariadb has some new configs that you can add.

Okay will look into it on a test environment.
What worries me is, will migrating bork anything and can they actually be migrated?

A lot of things to consider. ;)
Thank you for taking the time to reply to me @RoldanLT

Oh okay, sounds good...
We have 650+ members, 18GB usage in total on the server, and DB is about 200Mb. So not much really to be honest.

Top Bottom