Buying soon, a couple questions!

Trev805

Hi, my name's Trevor! I've done a little research, and have decided I definitely want to go with XenForo for my forum. I've only got a couple questions before I start moving on this:

-My domain (I host with HostGator, if that helps answer and of these questions :) ) is still in the process of 'propagating,' and should be fully operational in the next 24 hours, but as of now it's still showing the HostGator parked page. My question regarding this is, I plan on paying the extra bit for the pro installation (so as to avoid as many screw-ups on my part as possible, haha), should I wait until the domain has propagated to make my purchase? Not sure how quick you guys are about these things, but I'd hate to purchase and then have you guys waiting on me. And do I need to set up an FTP account for you guys prior to this?

-My second question is a little bit more broad. The amount of knowledge I have on this kind of stuff is pitiful, so forgive me for any stupid questions. I have a tiny bit of a background in HTML, I had a Dragonball Z website when I was in school, hahaha. Anyway, I've tried to do a little research on this MySQL and php stuff, as it says that the paid installation doesn't cover those two things, and I haven't been able to find much... Are these two things that I need to take care of prior to my purchase?

Any time is much appreciated, I've been lurking here a lot while doing my forum research and you guys have a great community!

Okay, first snag... There's gotta be a way to upload more than one file at once, right? I couldn't find it so I started to upload the files individually and then noticed there was folder, with folders inside of them, would I Have to create those folders myself in cPanel and then upload accordingly? Seems like there's gotta be a way to drag and drop, or something.
I use Flashfxp to upload all my files!

I use Flashfxp to upload all my files!
FileZilla

I simply highlight everything I want in the left, right click, select upload .... And let it do its thing.

I don't trust cPanel to unzip the folder. I've seen that fail before and I've watched files become corrupt that way (even on some well respected providers).

From the SSH prompt is normally my 2nd alternative to unzipping it.

Wow, you guys, have been even more impressed with Xenforo since installing! Well worth the money! Like I had said earlier, I'm very much new to a lot of this stuff, and was able to breeze through installion with all your help, and the user interface and everything once I did that has been absolutely smooth and easy to understand. Very pleased :)

One thing I've had a little bit of a rough time understanding is the Resource Manager. I'm not sure now that I even need it, haha.

Yeah, I found that, just not exactly sure what a 'resource' is. It seems to me like a way for people to sell stuff on your forum?
Resources Manager is a sort of a Downloads Manager if you look at it that way. An Resource can be anything, but generally it is either an file (or several files in one archive) or an file-less resource (an article for instance). In the post I linked to above it refers to the Resources section here (which 14DH01 linked to).

Resources Manager is a sort of a Downloads Manager if you look at it that way. An Resource can be anything, but generally it is either an file (or several files in one archive) or an file-less resource (an article for instance). In the post I linked to above it refers to the Resources section here (which 14DH01 linked to).
Smile to the world. :)
+1 ;) lol

Does anyone have any add-ons they'd suggest for sure having? I feel like a kid in a candy store looking at all these resources, haha.

Xenmoods- by dismounted
Postratings - by luke foreman
Showcase - by bobster65
Node As Tabs - Most useful add-on on xenforo, that is housed by xenforo and ever will be contained by xenforo.
DC Smiley Manager - A must if you plan on adding lots of smilies. It supports Categories both backend and frontend and much more.

Those are a few must haves if your looking at add-ons for your members which they would appreciated. Oh, and welcome to xenforo. :)

Top Bottom