As designed Bug importing mailformed quotes

imthebest

For example the following post in vBulletin:

Code:
[quote=Mike;3243562]Hey Kier what's going on?

Hi Mike I'm coding XF 2.0 so I'm busy!

Is being imported as:

Code:
[quote="Mike, post: 3243562"]Hey Kier what's going on?

Hi Mike I'm coding XF 2.0 so I'm busy![/quote]

Note that you're forcing a closing /quote at the end of the post contents.

And here is another scenario:

Code:
[quote=Kier;3245419][quote=Mike;3243562]Hey Kier what's going on?
Oh I see, well I'll get a shower because I'm tired. Bye.

Is being imported as:

Code:
[quote="Kier, post: 3245419"][quote="Mike, post: 3243562"]Hey Kier what's going on?

Oh I see, well I'll get a shower because I'm tired. Bye.[/quote]

Thanks.

It's not really how it's being imported -- the code would come through fine.

XenForo just automatically and implicitly closes unclosed tags.

Any particular reason? I can see that the error is on the user who made the original post, but closing the tag automatically seems to make it appear that the wrong person is quoted.

Both quote structures were preserved in the above example without misattributing anything to another user.

I think that the intended first post should have been

Code:
[quote=Mike;3243562]Hey Kier what's going on?[/quote]

Hi Mike I'm coding XF 2.0 so I'm busy!

but in writing the post, the OP deleted the closing tag. I see this a lot, or if someone deletes the closing ] only, etc. The point is that automatically closing the tag in the first example makes it appear that both statements were written by the same person, and they were not. Similarly for the second example

Second post should have been

Code:
[quote=Kier;3245419][quote=Mike;3243562]Hey Kier what's going on?[/quote]
Oh I see, well I'll get a shower because I'm tired. Bye.

second closing tag accidentally deleted by OP, makes the second that third sentences appear to be part of the quoted posts, when the 3rd was the reply to the nested quotes

There literally is no other way of handling it other than closing unclosed tags. There is literally no other solution.

Why not just close them?

Because it's the same result.

If the quote hasn't been closed, then the quote carries on until the end of the post anyway.

Why not just close them?

If I reply to your post and then accidentally delete the closing tag, it should look like this

Why not just close them?

not like this

So if the original post is in error, I would argue that it should not be fixed when importing. @Chris D are you saying that it is literally impossible for the import function to not close all missing tags at the end of any post that is imported?

ooh. That is interesting. XF automatically added the close-tag at the end of that post, I was trying to show how it should leave the closing tag off.

I think I do get it now though. If the initial starting tag doesn't have a close, it would look very weird...as it should, indicating to the user that they screwed something up.

Edit...as I think about this, to does tend to make sense. I think the fact that other forum engines don't automatically do this is, to an extent, a bug in their software.

Top Bottom