Bring back HYS to old layout

HYS threads have several main posts of which one is now an article. Somehow this doesn't fit well. It would be better if each HYS post would be posted as a dedicated article. So instead of having 1 HYS thread with 4 main posts in it, it would be better to have 4 threads.

The forum view which shows the snippets looks messy to me. It takes some scrolling and getting used to. Its a far cry from a WordPress page.

It does work best when there is only one main post that is differentiated from the replies or "comments"

But it's a great new feature in general.

It is, in some ways, perhaps not the best example since the articles were written as discussion posts, often multiple ones, and then converted. I still love the concept and look forward to seeing it done well.

My biggest problem is that they are now sorted by article creation date, not last post. And I didn't find way to change that default behavior (what is maybe possible).

My biggest problem is that they are now sorted by article creation date, not last post. And I didn't find way to change that default behavior (what is maybe possible).

It’s been set that way for quite some time. There is no user setting to change that.

You can but you have to do it everytime you open the forum section.

Go to Filters -> under Sort by -> change First message to Last message.

You can also bookmark a direct link to the Last message based order page on your web browser to open it directly.

https://xenforo.com/community/forums/have-you-seen/?order=last_post_date&direction=desc

But, indeed, the HYS forum has been sorted by creation date for years.
Which makes perfect sense for that forum. I think I know what Alan is getting at, though. I often go in there because it is bolded to show there are unread posts and have to scroll down or go to New Posts to actually see which threads were updated, esp. if people respond to some really old one for some reason. Not a problem for me. I like it being sorted as is, but I understand why some might find it troublesome at times.

ie: allowing multiple posts within an Article thread to be included as part of the primary Article post? Allowing members to page thru JUST those posts? Brilliant :)
I meant your point 1, your point 2 is brilliant (your brilliance not mine).

"Next page" footer pagination and when it ends a "Next article" pagination.

I see this along the lines of the vehicle Build threads that my members do. The first post in their Article is usually the introduction to what their plans are. The another post they make in their Article covers their first list of mods. Usually discussion is interspersed throughout the thread. Their 10th post may be page 3 of the article, covering additional modifications. Some member threads are hundreds of pages long, with dozens of "key" posts covering their build.

Paging through the various posts they select within their entire thread to include as their specific article pages would allow a visitor to browse JUST their build, without all the chitchat...and then perhaps each Article page could have a "read thread from here...." option so visitors can continue reading the entire thread from that point.

Function would be similar to Featured Articles in Wordpress....but done as Featured Posts within the Article (as selected by the OP)

But, indeed, the HYS forum has been sorted by creation date for years.
For some reason I think I remember that before XF site went 2.2 it was like last post. But, not sure now that you tell otherwise. Fickle memory, that's for sure...

I have a feeling it was changed on or around the time we first started doing HYS threads for XF 2.1 but it may be longer.

It was sorted by thread post date rather than last post date since at least 2014 (random date I happened to click so likely before that even)

Top Bottom