Breath Of Fresh Air

xF is a breath of fresh air and it's nice to see it in development.

Indeed it is, in so many ways. Today has been a momentous day for those of us with vBulletin who feel let down.

When Kier first let out those sly posts and tweets earlier in the year, I thought it was just a pipe dream that he would ride to our rescue like a knight in armour....but here he is.

One of the concerns raised back then was that, even if it were true, expectations would be too high and he would disappoint. Well, my expectations were indeed high but he (and his team) have managed to exceed them...this is much better than i thought it would be, it's truly bowled me over.

Quick note, there's no "and his team", it's just Mike and Kier, and they're the ones coding it.

I know. But, that's a team of two people.

Plus there's Ashley as the business manager. Great coders are one thing but the entire project needs more than just that alone.

So overall "Kier and his team" is the right phrase.

I know. But, that's a team of two people.

Plus there's Ashley as the business manager. Great coders are one thing but the entire project needs more than just that alone.

So overall "Kier and his team" is the right phrase.

Mark,

Not sure I agree. I would rather call it the XenForo team as I would not want to take anything away from Mike (as a developer). I suspect that there is an equal split between both Kier and Mike on this product. Let's not keep thinking that it's only Kier. In my mind there is a reason that Mike is involved in this project as well as Kier. Two bloody great developers with fantastic perceptions on how the next generation forum software should behave. This is like moving from the PS1 to the PS3. Simply breathtaking in the current alpha and the mind boggles as to what it will look like in a few months time.

It's very clear that this belongs to Kier and Mike, or Mike and Kier. Where confusion occurs is because we've all been used to Kier being the 'Lead Developer' etc. It's important that we all understand this belongs to two exceptional software developers.

Mark,

Not sure I agree. I would rather call it the XenForo team as I would not want to take anything away from Mike (as a developer). I suspect that there is an equal split between both Kier and Mike on this product. Let's not keep thinking that it's only Kier. In my mind there is a reason that Mike is involved in this project as well as Kier. Two bloody great developers with fantastic perceptions on how the next generation forum software should behave. This is like moving from the PS1 to the PS3. Simply breathtaking in the current alpha and the mind boggles as to what it will look like in a few months time.

This is a fair point and one I've been conscious of when referring to Kier for some time. He even pulled me up on it once.

I should say I have always known and acknowledged the input of Mike and Scott and the other vB developers of the time such as Freddie, in the success of tha product as was. And I fully understand that this project is Mike and Kier and not just Kier.

I accept that doesn't always come across in my posts so I'll try and do better in that regard. Kier does tend to end up as the "public face" of things and his former status on vB as lead developer seems to make this a hard habit to break for me, but it's not intended disrespectfully I can promise.

This is a fair point and one I've been conscious of when referring to Kier for some time. He even pulled me up on it once.

I should say I have always known and acknowledged the input of Mike and Scott and the other vB developers of the time such as Freddie, in the success of tha product as was. And I fully understand that this project is Mike and Kier and not just Kier.

I accept that doesn't always come across in my posts so I'll try and do better in that regard. Kier does tend to end up as the "public face" of things and his former status on vB as lead developer seems to make this a hard habit to break for me, but it's not intended disrespectfully I can promise.

Completely understand where you are coming from and I know what you mean. I just think that Mike should have some of the spotlight on this special day for him, Kier and Ashley. They all deserve some of the stage and I would hate for Mike (as a developer) to be pushed into the shadows.

I've used vBulletin since v2 and am currently running on 3.8.x. I was planning on upgrading to vb4 suite (paid the firesale money) but am now going to hold off. Of course you will understand why :)

Just wanted to say that it's nice to see Mike's name being mentioned. He may have officially reported to me at vBulletin but our working relationship has always been that of partners. XenForo most certainly would not be what it is without Mike.

Just wanted to say that it's nice to see Mike's name being mentioned. He may have officially reported to me at vBulletin but our working relationship has always been that of partners. XenForo most certainly would not be what it is without Mike.

I have always had the greatest admiration for Mike's efforts.

I even recall being really honoured when I reported something in the bug tracker years ago and he replied with "good find" (or something similar).

Don't worry Kier, I have already slapped Mark.B with a trout :p

Should I go and "like" every post where people say good things about me? Or are you just trying to abuse my niceness to get likes?! ;)

Thanks for the kind words. I've always been more of a behind the scenes type of person, so I'm used to not having my name in lights. Still, nice to get acknowledgement. :)

I've always been more of a behind the scenes type of person, so I'm used to not having my name in lights. Still, nice to get acknowledgement. :)

Keep it that way, you don't need an in-your-face-superman-outfit to prove your are producing 'the most powerful community software', do you? ;) This is what I always liked about Jelsoft: the low-profile no-nonsense approach. The quality of the product and customers relations spoke for themselves. vBulletin only needed mouth-to-mouth promotion: the outstanding product you, Kier and Scott created advertised itself (without any superman logo! :p) and that says enough.

It was very nice to meet you in Amsterdam a couple of years ago and I am glad you are back with Kier to present xenForo to the world! Keep up the good job. If a CMS-solution and integrated Blog will be available next year, I am sold.

Top Bottom