Branding Free (split from 'Version number?')

MilesDB

it's mainly keeping "junk" out of the template that doesn't give anything to the end-user experience.
I never understood why we have to pay for branding free option either. We pay for the product dearly. It's not free. So please no free ads on our backs. I hope XenForo at least won't charge a ridiculous amount as vBulletin or IPB do.

I never understood why we have to pay for branding free option either. We pay for the product dearly. It's not free. So please no free ads on our backs. I hope XenForo at least won't charge a ridiculous amount as vBulletin or IPB do.
If and when we offer a branding free option, it will be at a significant premium. You have to understand that the primary means by which forum software is sold is by people visiting a site, liking the way the forums operate and then finding out how they can get something similar for their own site. Therefore, a large site running branding-free may be at the expense of many referred sales, so it's really not in our interest to make it a cheap option.

If and when we offer a branding free option, it will be at a significant premium. You have to understand that the primary means by which forum software is sold is by people visiting a site, liking the way the forums operate and then finding out how they can get something similar for their own site. Therefore, a large site running branding-free may be at the expense of many referred sales, so it's really not in our interest to make it a cheap option.
I agree with that. People may know we run XenForo, it's to be proud of :)

@Kier,
What about Professional Installations? I think that $150 is waaay to much for a simple installation that can easily be done. I must say I think it's a ripoff

I think they should leave installation to a third party provider to cater... so they can focus on development, even outsource it to a few who want to earn the $$$.

I actually agree with Kier on branding free, in that it should be premium $$$ to remove it as that makes the brand, especially when skinning can completely disorient a site from its original look.

4x the price of normal license fee's. Branding-Free is important for some people.

Purchasing a branding-free license is, IMO, basically saying "we want to keep our forum a secret and prevent XF from getting any sales" (hence why I never purchase branding-free options). I might purchase a product and I am proud to have a little copyright footer that states it's been made by the two awesome developers that are Kier and Mike.

There's nothing wrong with purchasing branding-free options, I'd just prefer to have the copyright notice to prevent people from asking what software I use.

P.S: Branding-free options don't do a good job of masquerading the software unless you change all included files that have the name in it ;)

I always found that having vBulletin's name in the footer actually helped my site, as it was such a sign of a quality site that could be taken seriously, rather than some silly teenage site that would disappear in a week.

Obviously that's been less true recently. :rolleyes:

I've always noticed that sites/forums who do not have copyright at the bottom are generally accused of using nulled boards, no matter how big the community is!

As long as the copyright is able to be styled, and moved about the page to suit the user, I'm pretty sure it's not going to be a problem for the majority of people. If it is, then they pay up!

Hopefully its something that cant be crawled by search engines as thats the premier way hackers find sites that arent running the latest versions and are vulnerable to attacks.

I agree with that. People may know we run XenForo, it's to be proud of :)

@Kier,
What about Professional Installations? I think that $150 is waaay to much for a simple installation that can easily be done. I must say I think it's a ripoff

think_statue.jpg

Installations should be a one click operation ... same as with all addons ... but this would require real thinking to make it so. :D

This is exactly how I found VB! I was very close to buying UBB, but one of the forums I would frequent was using VB and I really liked how it work. If that forum would have been brand free, I would have bought UBB. :eek:

Branding-free options are sometimes important to corporate intranet installations. It's not something the average consumer will need, but it's there for those who do need it or want it.

Top Bottom