I can see branding-free in some instances, but if I was running XenForo, I would easily change it to: Forum proudly ran up XenForo or something along those lines.
I'm not sure there's a lot of people who'd be willing to hand over money and then trust they will get what they paid for at a later date. That was something that didn't go so well somewhere else.Heh.
Consider it 2X
Actually, on topic I'd like to purpose a possible compromise? I'm sure we all want XenForo to succeed, and would like to do what we can to assist with that. I imagine the critical time period is going to be 6 months to year after launch? How about offering a Brand Free option as part of the early adopter's offerings, but have it have a built in delay?
IOW, those that want Brand free can buy it for a decent price, but it doesn't take effect until 6 months to a year after XF's initial public offering?
That way XF gets an initial extra infusion of cash, AND gets the promotion of having all those credit links out there, but the folks that want brand free can buy it and know that it'll go into effect on X date? That might remove some of the difficulty of making the decision... Just a thought.
I've always thought that vB's $170 branding free option is reasonably priced, and IPB's $275 branding free option is a bit overpriced, and what you're suggesting is a branding free option that could cost between $400 and $1000 and that's absolutely ridiculous.4x the price of normal license fee's. Branding-Free is important for some people.
True, but there's a very big difference here. You see, I trust Kier and Mike, I never EVER trusted IB.I'm not sure there's a lot of people who'd be willing to hand over money and then trust they will get what they paid for at a later date. That was something that didn't go so well somewhere else.
If they're concerned about getting the word out, I think they should just not offer the option at all until a later date.
I didn't argue that, as a lot of us wouldn't be here in such support of XF if we believed otherwise, but from a business perspective (and from an outsider point of view) it really doesn't make sense to pay now and get something later like that. I think it invites more trouble than it's worth. Can you imagine all the "I paid for this, now where is it?!" posts? Even if they are told it would be coming later, I'm sure some may claim they were unaware of this and want a refund, and may even not give XF a second glance (or worse, tell others to stay away).True, but there's a very big difference here. You see, I trust Kier and Mike, I never EVER trusted IB.
First of all, I don't really think XenForo needs to worry about not being exposed to potential customers. Good news spreads quick as it was proven again and again in the last 12 days. Secondly, a really high price for branding free option could easily backfire. For multiple board owners and professionals like photographers, IT people, etc it can be a turn-off, resulting in lost sales. Besides, it just don't make good sense to charge to hobbyist sites such an inflated fee for a chance to be exclusive. Let's not forget what IB did to vBulletin's goodwill in the pursuit of a big fat $$$.If and when we offer a branding free option, it will be at a significant premium. You have to understand that the primary means by which forum software is sold is by people visiting a site, liking the way the forums operate and then finding out how they can get something similar for their own site. Therefore, a large site running branding-free may be at the expense of many referred sales, so it's really not in our interest to make it a cheap option.