Brand Removal

LGT

I am willing to pay $140 for a license, but $250 for the brand removal is real steep.

I just took down SMF because spammers spidered the Powered by.

Although I like what I see, I don't like it for $390?

I am looking for something that is spammer/hacker safe.

I am looking for something that is spammer/hacker safe.
There's no such thing as "spammer safe".

You can't stop human spammers if you register at your forum to spam, ;) ( you'll need to be online to ban 'em & remove their posts )
You can, however, stop the bots that joins hundreds of forums to spam and leave their links.

If and when we offer a branding free option, it will be at a significant premium. You have to understand that the primary means by which forum software is sold is by people visiting a site, liking the way the forums operate and then finding out how they can get something similar for their own site. Therefore, a large site running branding-free may be at the expense of many referred sales, so it's really not in our interest to make it a cheap option.
That's why branding-free costs a lot.

Brand removal is optional and there is no such thing as "spammer safe" are both pseudo-true statements. However removing the branding can minimize spammers finding the site by Google-ing "powered by..." or any other common phrases that forum creators might commonly use.

Paying an extra $250 to minimize being that target is more than the value board software, IMHO. In fact, not removing the branding is an open invitiation to spammers. My experience with SMF is an example of that.

BTW, thanks for all the quick responses.

So you purchase branding free on every piece of software you run that leaves any visual sign of the software?

Spammers may be able to find the site by googling "Forum software by XenForo", but then they have to get past step 2: registering. A half-decent couple of Q&A's can keep automated spammers from registering. Manual ones? Stop trying.

If your only reason for branding removal is to minimize the risk of spammers, perhaps branding removal isn't something you need.

Total expenses: $140

Brand removal is optional and there is no such thing as "spammer safe" are both pseudo-true statements. However removing the branding can minimize spammers finding the site by Google-ing "powered by..." or any other common phrases that forum creators might commonly use.

Paying an extra $250 to minimize being that target is more than the value board software, IMHO. In fact, not removing the branding is an open invitiation to spammers. My experience with SMF is an example of that.

BTW, thanks for all the quick responses.
That's why links on a XenForo forum are "nofollow". So, spammers might be more interested in spamming vBulletin or phpBB forums instead.

Also, spammers share lists of sites to spam. They do it on webmaster forums all the time. Then again, some pay people to make huge lists of certain types of forums, and so on.

Another thing. Check this out : Quick Google Search

Or, do a regular search on Google.com and tell me if you ONLY find Xenforo Forums, :)

That's why links on a XenForo forum are "nofollow". So, spammers might be more interested in spamming vBulletin or phpBB forums instead.

Also, spammers share lists of sites to spam. They do it on webmaster forums all the time. Then again, some pay people to make huge lists of certain types of forums, and so on.

Another thing. Check this out : Quick Google Search

Or, do a regular search on Google.com and tell me if you ONLY find Xenforo Forums, (y)
Psst, the footer link isn't nofollow'd ;)

What about the sourcecode? You can always see the Xenforo name in there. So you are paying $250 just to remove the footer info? Are there other places this covers as well? Just trying to justify the expense and if it's worth it or not.

What about the sourcecode? You can always see the Xenforo name in there. So you are paying $250 just to remove the footer info? Are there other places this covers as well? Just trying to justify the expense and if it's worth it or not.

IMHO, it's not worth it. Xenforo is so unique, it's easily identifiable by form and function let alone the source of the pages that you can clearly see. To wipe the Xenforo name completely, I believe would take a lot of work. Yet, still, it still be identifiable regardless. I can't really view Xenforo as a white-label product.

I will like the day when people don't price software like this so cheap. If you paid for this work, at this quality, for your website you would be paying 6 figures. You get it all, with support, with updates, with free add-ons. All for under $150 and under $400 with branding removal.

I see the branding removal price about right. If you are a website that wants to hide the branding you are generally going to be a big, heavily customized, website that is monetized. So this price would be minimal.

Top Bottom