Boy, is Google THAT pervasive?

grant sarver

So, I called up a company and placed an order, got the number from their paper catalog, didn't look up anything online. Now everywhere I go online I get Google ads for that company. Must be the confirming email they sent. Startin' to worry more about Google and the Net more than I ever did about "Big Brother"!

That is pretty alarming :o

What creeps me out is I use Google Apps mail, and it picks up words from private emails and delivers ads based on it. Sometimes very inappropriately misinterpreting the words. >_<

Google was that right in the "contract" you acepted when created and account.

They can use what you do in web, to show ads to you. They have acess to all emails from gmail, and all other sites you use (in chrome), and alot of more.

Google knows more of you, than everybody else.

It's the old adage that "nothing is free." All of your interactions within services provided by Google and Facebook are recorded and collated for advertising purposes. These type of companies are literally commodifying social interaction. I'm more frightened of government agencies being able to seize this data than how it is used now.

So, I called up a company and placed an order, got the number from their paper catalog, didn't look up anything online. Now everywhere I go online I get Google ads for that company. Must be the confirming email they sent. Startin' to worry more about Google and the Net more than I ever did about "Big Brother"!

I think it's more like the "new car effect" how when you buy a new car you SUDDENLY notice it everywhere!

It's the old adage that "nothing is free." All of your interactions within services provided by Google and Facebook are recorded and collated for advertising purposes. These type of companies are literally commodifying social interaction. I'm more frightened of government agencies being able to seize this data than how it is used now.
It's more that they want all this data, and store it indefinitely. Why do they want it, and why do they want to store it?

Top Bottom