XF 1.1 bounced emails - the nightmare

snoopy5

Hi

I send out the first time a huge mass email with XF and got around 1000 bounced email messages into the mailbox of my emailaddress for bouncing messages. So I have now 1000 emails I have to go through to copy the email address of the user and search for them in the ACP.

Now I need to find an efficient and fast way to move all those 1000 users into the Usergroup for email verification/ unconfirmed registration.

How can I do this with a script? If someone has a hack or addon or sql script for this, I would pay for it.

What you really need is a mass mailing service with proper bounce handling. A forum application like XenForo is not good for handling mailing lists, though XenForo can generate a list of emails for you so you can export them to a mailing service.

Hi

I have put already the address for bounced emails in the ACP. BUt I do not want to use another software for sending thiose emails. I wwant to have it out of XF, to be sure to use the latest email address the suer has in his profile.

I have contacted one of the addon developpers to give me a quote for writing a quick and dirty script for handling bounced emails. If someone is interested to share the costs, please PM me.

I do not care how elegant the solution is, as lomg as it works, can be a real addon, or just an sql code. The problem is, that I have mow around 1000 emails woth bounced addresses and I need to get all those addresses consolidated into a script which then puts all those email addresses into the waiting for email verification group.

Or a solution like the addon for vbulletin ez bounce management, with which you only click on a lonk within the bounced email and the users gets deaktivated in the forum. But there seems to be problem if emails send out with smtp...

Bounced email is fact of life as people change jobs, ISP. Email lifeshelf is 3-5 years (I read it somewhere, can't find source).
I use Mailchimp to handle my mailing list. I even release a XF-mailchimp addon that I hired someone to write for me. Search for it.
When I first use VB to mass email my 20K users, I got 3K bounced emails. You expect those things.

Bounced email is fact of life as people change jobs, ISP. Email lifeshelf is 3-5 years (I read it somewhere, can't find source).
I use Mailchimp to handle my mailing list. I even release a XF-mailchimp addon that I hired someone to write for me. Search for it.
When I first use VB to mass email my 20K users, I got 3K bounced emails. You expect those things.

Hi

thanks for the hint. But mailchimp is too expensive for me. I have in both XF forums over 30.000 users registered per forum. This would costs me with mailchimp 2x240 USD per month.

I do my communities as a hobby for non-profit. So there is no way to pay this with income from my forums and for my private money this is too expensive.

Was there something vBulletin did that Xenforo did not in terms of bounced emails ?

There is an addon availabale for free for vb. It is called ez bounce management. This puts a link in every email header or the buttom, so if an email bounces, you simply click on that links and this addon moves this user automatically into a specified usergroup, deactivates the admin emails, email for PM etc. so that this user really gets nothing anymore out of the forum by email. Addittionally, the suer will see the next time when he is logging in a pop up message that he has to verify his email.

Of course this is only semi-automatic, because you still have to click on a link. But this is better than copy/paste email addresses around ;)

Could somone make an adon like this for XF? I asked already the developper of this addon, but he never answered.

EZ Bounce Management
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=138884&highlight=EZ Bounce Management

The reason why I want to use the internal xenforo system is,

a) costs

b) thanks to this, I always have the most current email address of my users for the forum. It does not help me to have an uptodate mailing list, but an old XF userinformation in the forum with dead emails in it.

I just do not know how others are updating the Xenforo database as soon as they use external software for the mailings. I do not want to compare every week one by one and update this manually in the forum database.

Could somone make an adon like this for XF?

ezbounce.email.user.ID.link.webp

Interesting.
Looks like that link is just the user number (ie. user = 17).
Surely you could get the user from the email address !
Why have the ezbouncer link ? (I know it's for easy clicking).
Regardless.

Seems like there are two parts:
(1) getting a list of email addresses or forum ID #s for which an email bounced.
(2) processing the list in the adminCP.

It seems this addon lacks the automation a bigger site wants, but a smaller site might not pay for it because it wont save that much time vs. doing it manually. Finding a way to automate (1) is the key part. Can't some email client be scripted to parse out the email addresses of bounced emails ? I suspect Outlook could do it.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6447363/how-to-parse-e-mail-bounce-notifications
http://search.cpan.org/~rjbs/Mail-D...1.527/lib/Mail/DeliveryStatus/BounceParser.pm

I wonder if a bounced email addon could work via a crowd sourcing method. Probably would.

Also check out Mandrill - it's an email delivery and tracking system from the guys at MailChimp.

You can use it directly via SMTP or via its API. It also has a webhook feature where you can set up a call-back URL where it sends notifications of bounced emails so you can mark them as bad in your user database.

It does implement it's own internal throttling based on your deliverability results (ie too many bounced emails = throttled sending), and you'd not want to hit it with 7,000 emails all at once - best to let it ramp up a bit first to ensure it knows you're not a spammer.

It allows 12,000 emails to be delivered each month for free, or you can pay $9.95 per month for 40,000 emails per month.
check out Mandrill ?
Seems affordable.

check out Mandrill ?
Seems affordable.

Yup, further to the post that Digital Doctor quoted above ... I have completely replaced EZ bounce with a fully automated solution using Mandrill for handling bounced emails on my vB forums, but haven't yet had a chance to port it to XenForo - that's on my todo list.

can anybody write a quick and dirty solution? I really need this urgently. I am willing to pay for this.

At the moment I have tons of bounced emails, which are sent to a specific email address for bounced emails. I need a script that takes the email address out of these bounced emails and deactivate the users in the db so that they have to reconfirm their email address and and do not get send another emails until then.

can anybody write a quick and dirty solution? I really need this urgently. I am willing to pay for this.

At the moment I have tons of bounced emails, which are sent to a specific email address for bounced emails. I need a script that takes the email address out of these bounced emails and deactivate the users in the db so that they have to reconfirm their email address and and do not get send another emails until then.

There is a topic/post authored by me back in Nov '12 (or thereabouts) asking the same question. Use the search function to find it. In that, Jake (99% sure it was him) responded and gave me the query to use on the db for this.
I exported out of XF into MailChimp, send the email, got a list of bounces and/or unsubscribe emails, loaded them into a temp table in XF database, then used the query from above to step through the temp table (sourced from MailChimp) and set all the appropriate XF users to reconfirm required.

Top Bottom