Bought and downloaded XenForo - what's next.....

Bought and downloaded XenForo. It doesn't look like rocket science to get it up and running, but then again it's not exactly using a screwdriver.

I've got my forum text and outline of the forum ready to go, I just have to get the forum software working online. I guess my situation now is do I spend possibly weeks, or at least many, many, many hours trying to figure it all out, or just pay to have it done for me. What is involved at this point? I've obviously got the domain name, the server, and of course XenForo, and now it's just a matter of "positioning" the software data info on to the FTP, then click on to the server...right?

I have not downloaded a FTP yet. But I will probably use FileZilla unless there is something better.

The bottom line is I'd rather be working on my forum continued text, etc, than spending who knows how many hours getting it online which is just a one time thing to do, whereby I don't mind at all spending countless hours working on the forum info.

So any suggestions on how to do this and the most effective way both in time and money. I don't mind paying for the expertise to get it up and running online, but I don't exactly have Donald Trump type money to pay for it all.

Thank you and appreciate any replies or help, even the pay for help if needed.

Also, does a "turnkey" solution exist? Just getting a typical forum layout up and running, the layouts of these online forums are all fairly much the same, with the various categories pertaining to the forum idea, etc...and have the expert get it online and looking like that.

Then all I would need to worry about is adding posts and info to the categories, adding or deleting categories, and learning further the various intricacies of using the software, IE the spam controls, etc, - that I can handle myself with no problem, like using a screwdriver - LOL

Thanks again!

Steve

But I will probably use FileZilla unless there is something better.
While FileZilla is the choice of many there have been instances where it has caused some issues with file uploads and or upgrades. WinSCP is nice FTP client and is free if you are capable of using it. Myself I use FlashFXP but it is paid.

For installation, it is rather easy. Just follow the manual and you should be fine.
https://xenforo.com/help/installation/

Last thing if you haven't already, add your forum user name to the list here: https://xenforo.com/customers/forum-users

Then you will be able to post in the areas for licensed users only, plus download Resources.

I don't mind paying for the expertise to get it up and running online, but I don't exactly have Donald Trump type money to pay for it all.
Hi Steve,

We offer a XenForo monthly maintenance service which costs $349 every three months. If you wish. you can sign up for three months only (there is no contract).
Check my signature for more details or enter to https://www.todo10.com/en/xenforo-monthly-maintenance/ to chat with us

I found it was very easy to install and setup XenForo, but that might just be because I find myself 'in tune' with those sorts of things.

You can find many people on here that'll be willing to install & setup basic stuff, for a fee (including me). The fee may just be different.

The most complex aspect would probably be the permissions system. In general, the actual software runs on it's own perfectly fine unless a configuration change is introduced.

Liam

While FileZilla is the choice of many there have been instances where it has caused some issues with file uploads and or upgrades. WinSCP is nice FTP client and is free if you are capable of using it. Myself I use FlashFXP but it is paid.

For installation, it is rather easy. Just follow the manual and you should be fine.
https://xenforo.com/help/installation/

Last thing if you haven't already, add your forum user name to the list here: https://xenforo.com/customers/forum-users

Then you will be able to post in the areas for licensed users only, plus download Resources.

I would go this route, it is better to learn all aspects instead of having someone else do it. Although, if you wish, XenForo also offers professional installation which people seems to forget about and plug their own services. ;)

Thank you very much for the replies - it looks a little bit daunting, but from the replies, I guess I'll give it a go myself first and see how it progresses.

I would presume that the key to success is to "follow the instructions" which I intend to do. I'm not going to do any configuration changes.

Please keep the replies coming if there is anything else to add it would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

Steve

Thank you very much for the replies - it looks a little bit daunting, but from the replies, I guess I'll give it a go myself first and see how it progresses.

I would presume that the key to success is to "follow the instructions" which I intend to do. I'm not going to do any configuration changes.

Please keep the replies coming if there is anything else to add it would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

Steve
Yup just do it yourself!

If you have cPanel, you can upload the zip archive and extract directly on the server, using the file manager.

You don't need FTP for that.

<<<<< Step 2) Upload The Files

The normal upload method is FTP. Your web host will provide you with a FTP login which you can enter into a FTP client. If you don't have a FTP client then I recommend FileZilla:

http://filezilla-project.org/
> http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client

I will use FileZilla for this guide.

Enter your FTP info (provided by your host) into the FileZilla window: >>>>>

Hi Brogan - I was basically following the above, but I will also check into cPanel.

Seems like there are two paths to successfully doing this, just a question of which is best for my needs.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Steve

If your host uses cPanel as it's hosting control panel you will see two directories that can be used public_html and a www folder. I would just for the sake of arguing upload to the public_html folder.

After buying and downloading xenforo, the usual steps these days seems to be:
1) installing it on your host
2) configuring it how you want
3) creating 200 forum sections
4) ???
5) and wondering why noone comes to the site.

DONT do 3)!

My advice is to create 1 or 2 sections and try to fill it up before expanding any further. Try to have some content on there, ideally info not elsewhere or amalgamated on the topic of your forum. Use prefixes. Dont talk about yourself as an 'owner' of the forum. Mould the culture of your forum and create an expectation of what you want without being a punk about it.

At the end of the day its a lot of work, and you have to be passionate about the niche.

Last edited:
4) ???

My advice is to create 1 or 2 sections and try to fill it up before expanding any further. Try to have some content on there, ideally info not elsewhere or amalgamated on the topic of your forum. Use prefixes. Dont talk about yourself as an 'owner' of the forum. Mould the culture of your forum and create an expectation of what you want without being a punk about it.

At the end of the day its a lot of work, and you have to be passionate about the niche.

It is a lot of work, i do agree with that part.

4) ???

DONT do 3)!

Hi Tajhay - I realize that there is now Twitter, Facebook and other things out there that technically compete with forums. However, there is no doubt that forums are still relevant, and in my opinion are vital to a group who wants to consolidate and share information in one easy to use website location.

I do believe in the old adage "A good product does not sell itself." One must work hard at it to sell it and be successful. Creating a beautiful XenForo forum does not automatically translate into a winner...unless it is worked hard and maintained hard.

I think that is good advice you gave, and I certainly will ponder it for sure...especially the part about being a "punk" - I completely agree with that and don't intend to be condescending or heavy handed with the good members. Let them have fun and enjoy the forum, without them worrying about a seemingly infinite number of rules.

Thank you!

Steve

Top Bottom