Implemented Bookmark posts for future reference - Bookmark Center

Grover

I am a member of the biggest social networking site in The Netherlands and there you can bookmark someone. Normally when you want to be a friend of someone, you send a request to that person. This person can either grant or deny your request. But what if you are not interested to become a friend of someone at that point in time? You just want to bookmark a person because you find them interesting, and decide later maybe what to do with it.

I was also a member of a very popular dutch dating website and there you have 'Favorites'. You can browser through millions of Profiles and add the ones you like to your Favorite list. This Favorite list can be sorted subsequentially on different fields (try doing that with your browser favorites....).

Furthermore, I also often have the need to bookmark a thread or even just a single posting.

Ofcoure you can use your browser bookmarks. But it is much more handy to have a dedicated bookmark section (on your profile or wherever it fits best) really where you can manage those bookmarks to your likings. (We could even have privacy-options for it, so we can share our bookmarks with whoever we wish, but that may take things a bit too far... just keep it basic is my opinion).

You know the 'Favorites Center' in Internet Explorer? Simple and very useful... it would be great if we have something like that, so we can manage different kinds of Bookmarks, being it Profiles, Threads, Posts, or even Private Conversations... and in the future Blog entries/comments and CMS Articles/comments. Any content type really. Divided them into different subfolders and we are ready to go!

How many times on a sophisticated board like for example vBulletin you find yourself you need to reply to something, or see an interesting thread or posting or CMS article, or Profile and you think... I need to get back to this at some point. What to do? Most of the time I mail the URL of that content to myself...

It would be much better if we can do all this on the platform itself. What do you all think?

To the Moderators: this thread should be called 'Bookmark Center', because I am not talking about Favorites only here. Bookmarks fits the bill the best.

(edit: Maybe odd to say in my own thread :), but this functionality is not one that is essential to me on a day-to-day basis. Just sometimes think it might come in handy).

Please do [like] this first posting if you think it is a good feature suggestion for XenForo

Upvote 80
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Bookmarking a thread post or a profile post can come in handy, but has anyone here come across the need/desire to bookmark a conversation post?
In other words, is your Inbox so full that you lose track of certain posts and wish you had a quick way to refer back to them?

Bookmarking a thread post or a profile post can come in handy, but has anyone here come across the need/desire to bookmark a conversation post?
In other words, is your Inbox so full that you lose track of certain posts and wish you had a quick way to refer back to them?
imo the pc system is beyond confusing. i open my conversation page and have nfi who is involved with most of the conversations.
id use a bookmark addon in pc for the ability to denote the participants if nothing else.

Yes, I have several Conversations and because at the moment they cannot be searched I save the email notifications for them (my emails can be searched).

Though I would rather have improvements in the Conversation system than a bookmark type of system.. Basically be able to search them.

I would definitely use this feature, and so would our mods. It's perfect for keeping a directory of links to content to which you might refer in the future when asked the same question. In fact, now that I think of it, I can't believe this wasn't introduced earlier in any forum software. It's an important feature in YouTube, in your browser... so why not in forums?

There are lots of comments in different places about Conversations being hard to handle. I have pages of them and constantly cannot find the one I want. Including them in Bookmark Centre would be fine
but we really need the Conversations to display WHO is in each one. Pretty basic.

Searching Conversations too but I'd settle for doing through a Bookmark Centre - which I enthusiastically support. Donation anyone?

I like this idea, but my primary cause to not put it to the top of the priority list is that you have it already... Everyone is using a web browser, and they tend to have rather good and mature bookmark / favourite functionality built in already.

It seems that "bookmarking" and sharing of bookmarks is getting more and more important and also exciting.
As per my experience as an average user, the capabilities of "bookmarking" via the web-browser are far from being mature.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/turn-xf-into-pinforo.29887/

:coffee:

It seems that "bookmarking" and sharing of bookmarks is getting more and more important and also exciting.
As per my experience as an average user, the capabilities of "bookmarking" via the web-browser are far from being mature.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/turn-xf-into-pinterest-com.29887/

All this is now covered by Syndol's addons, both managing Conversations and bookmarking threads.
The problem we still have is that while that is great for our own boards, it doesn't help with this one.
My own boards are tiny so the need is less urgent.

HERE I do very much need to manage the mass of content that I need/ interests me.
Plus a few features for Conversations like seeing my correspondents' names - currently I put the name like a prefix in the Subject line, awkward but works. Still can't clean up and delete, or Search though.

Bookmarking on HERE is vital as I need to make my own library of admin resources. The RM helps with Watched Resources but that doesn't include all kinds of other helpful posts with code snippets, points on functions, permissions support etc. I do this separately by copying loads of stuff into documents. But that is not searchable and accessible like a repository here would be.

I think what we need on HERE is a personalised admin resource centre for each of us. It could link to our Watched Resources; our selected useful threads, posts, or Conversations that help our own board/s; and finally collect code snippets. It could tag items as Active (used on one of my boards); optionally Reference (name of my board) and optionally a brief Note if the subject line is not explanatory.
This would be best developed as an extension of the Resource Manager. A separate resource collection makes not much sense. But to add threads, posts, code snips, to the RM as my custom choices .... delicious.
Plus Hide a lot of stuff on What's New not relevant to me and this little piggy would be a much happier bunny when doing stuff here. Miaow!

7 years ago :X3: I posted this suggestion and it is not my intention to inject lots of older suggestions with new life (because needs and perceptions can change over the years), but I still believe that at least this one (it has 70+ likes) can bring benefits to a XF powered platform.

I am now going through many new and older threads that I have not read since 2,5 years over here and I find myself many times thinking 'Oh... I need to come back to this post or that thread again another time'. So, I need a way to mark those contents for future reference/use. Yes, as pointed out in this discussion before I could use the browser's bookmark function for this, but for all kinds of reasons I much prefer to have it all handled within the XF platform itself.

(Edit: As a workaround... if XF would offer a way to PM myself, it would already help a little bit, but that is way too cumbersome compared to a dedicated bookmark function. The funny thing is, when you PM yourself on Facebook, which is -still- possible, it gives you a helpful message that you can now use the following system: )

In the meantime... the mother of all social network sites: Facebook, kept improving the UI / end-user functionality of their platform continuously with really great stuff. And... one of them is that they integrated on their platform what this suggestion is all about:

Save a post to your Saved Items:

save post facebook.webp

And here is their implementation of the proposed Bookmark Center:

overview saved items.webp

The Facebook user is presented with a central place that gives you a tabbed overview of your saved Links, Videos, Photos, Music and Events.

What more do we need? Well... this in Xenforo.

PS: Hopefully now with the important release of XF2 that brings a new code-base for easier development and a new much improved UI (which is really wonderful by the way... all UI quirks in XF1 seem to be solved just perfectly!) we can see more improvements coming our way in existing functionality and new features.

Last edited:
@Grover what about @AndyB 's add-on mentioned in post #93?

What about it? :). This is a feature suggestion for Xenforo (that -imo- can come in handy for all users of a XF forum, regular users (especially recurring visitors/contributors) and admin-team alike). Great that suggestions over here lead to the creation of many third-party add-ons, but some things one would like to see as a stock feature.

He's saying he thinks it should be in core.

However, the list of things that "should be in core" is as long as my arm :)

The costs of keeping something in core isn't the same as in an add-on though, since customers expect a much higher standard of reliability in core than they do add-ons, especially free add-ons.

I was also a member of a very popular dutch dating website and there you have 'Favorites'. You can browser through millions of Profiles... [etc]

Jeezz... where is the [edit] button when you need it :oops:? #remindertooneselftoputthelongwindednessinthebinforgood!

Top Bottom