Implemented Bookmark posts for future reference - Bookmark Center

Grover

I am a member of the biggest social networking site in The Netherlands and there you can bookmark someone. Normally when you want to be a friend of someone, you send a request to that person. This person can either grant or deny your request. But what if you are not interested to become a friend of someone at that point in time? You just want to bookmark a person because you find them interesting, and decide later maybe what to do with it.

I was also a member of a very popular dutch dating website and there you have 'Favorites'. You can browser through millions of Profiles and add the ones you like to your Favorite list. This Favorite list can be sorted subsequentially on different fields (try doing that with your browser favorites....).

Furthermore, I also often have the need to bookmark a thread or even just a single posting.

Ofcoure you can use your browser bookmarks. But it is much more handy to have a dedicated bookmark section (on your profile or wherever it fits best) really where you can manage those bookmarks to your likings. (We could even have privacy-options for it, so we can share our bookmarks with whoever we wish, but that may take things a bit too far... just keep it basic is my opinion).

You know the 'Favorites Center' in Internet Explorer? Simple and very useful... it would be great if we have something like that, so we can manage different kinds of Bookmarks, being it Profiles, Threads, Posts, or even Private Conversations... and in the future Blog entries/comments and CMS Articles/comments. Any content type really. Divided them into different subfolders and we are ready to go!

How many times on a sophisticated board like for example vBulletin you find yourself you need to reply to something, or see an interesting thread or posting or CMS article, or Profile and you think... I need to get back to this at some point. What to do? Most of the time I mail the URL of that content to myself...

It would be much better if we can do all this on the platform itself. What do you all think?

To the Moderators: this thread should be called 'Bookmark Center', because I am not talking about Favorites only here. Bookmarks fits the bill the best.

(edit: Maybe odd to say in my own thread :), but this functionality is not one that is essential to me on a day-to-day basis. Just sometimes think it might come in handy).

Please do [like] this first posting if you think it is a good feature suggestion for XenForo

Upvote 80
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Apparently the 2 threads were merged.

I found a way of sort of keeping bookmarks (not perfect), if something is of interest in your news feed, then deleting the items 'not of interest' will leave the posts of interest. At least for the moment that seems to help.

I was thinking something a lot more subtle. Just an icon in the upper corner of a post that resembles bookmarking (star, pin, etc).

I could get behind that. Just be able to "star" posts (kinda like in Gmail), and then have a separate list of all "starred" post in your User CP.

Yet another practical example why bookmark functionality would come in handy(maybe it's better left as a mod, I'm not sure): I read a posting from Kier last week somewhere where he explained that in his eyes the [what's new] link in the navigation menu is positioned wrong. At that time I thought... interesting, let me try how it works out for me this week. I just happen to agree with him, because I somehow find the position of [what's new] not convenient. I don't know why :).

Anyway, I wanted to search for his posting, and just couldn't find it back. Now a bookmark functionality would have come in handy (if one didn't forget to bookmark it, that is ;)).

You know, many times you come across a posting, a blog article, comment or whatever and think... great, interesting... I need to get back to this!. But subscribing/watching it doesn't really help every time: a bookmark system has a whole different meaning/purpose. Could be a mod or something, but I still believe functionality like this could prove to be useful on large contents sites like XenForo.

I could get behind that. Just be able to "star" posts (kinda like in Gmail), and then have a separate list of all "starred" post in your User CP.
This is the method I was thinking, just a simple star appended to each post (perhaps it only appears on hover?) that you can click to bookmark it then you can review bookmarked posts/threads in the User CP. If you want to bookmark a thread there can just be a star next to the title.

Or a Gmail "Label", user based tagging/labeling~

Also an interesting idea! Makes it even more flexible maybe then to have a Bookmark section and divide that into subfolders... (because I would really need a way to organize my bookmarks as well)

Gmail has spoiled me with labels, every UI I deal with at work ( a lot of infrastructure management software for our cluster, cloud and monitoring, etc ) I wish had labels, it's such a work-flow convenience!

Done! Pretty good suggestion. I can see this being used a lot, especially by Mods.

Couldn't agree more. More specifically, Support staff when customers are asking the same support related questions and you can retrieve that thread with the solution and link them to it.

Excellent suggestion. This is a feature I'd definitely be interested in seeing and using on a regular basis.

Gmail has spoiled me with labels, every UI I deal with at work ( a lot of infrastructure management software for our cluster, cloud and monitoring, etc ) I wish had labels, it's such a work-flow convenience!
Absolutely agree. And have a User CP area where you can view all the threads you've labeled.

A long time ago (2001?) I wrote a hack for vBulletin called 'Favorites'. It never got merged into vBulletin because it is hard to argue for having the ability to bookmark a thread and the ability to subscribe to a thread (without email notification). They really crossover in their goals.

I like the idea of having threads as favorites with labels for further reference without subscribing it.
My favorites folder within Firefox is full of links like that.

A long time ago (2001?) I wrote a hack for vBulletin called 'Favorites'. It never got merged into vBulletin because it is hard to argue for having the ability to bookmark a thread and the ability to subscribe to a thread (without email notification). They really crossover in their goals.
There is a lot of overlap. For XenForo, I'd be more than happy if I were able to add "labels" to a thread when clicking "watch thread", and then being able to filter the list of watched threads in the User CP by one or more labels. Unlike vBulletin subscription folders, you'd be able to add new labels right when watching a thread.

There is a lot of overlap. For XenForo, I'd be more than happy if I were able to add "labels" to a thread when clicking "watch thread", and then being able to filter the list of watched threads in the User CP by one or more labels. Unlike vBulletin subscription folders, you'd be able to add new labels right when watching a thread.
I am loving this idea. :cool:

I like the idea and see how it can be useful as I have fallen into the situations you mention often however this is probably best left as an addon IMO.

Top Bottom