• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Board Message

As much as I love the message. Regular members would tire of it.
Ideally I could click it and it would disappear.
Of once I've seen it, 15min later it would go away :)

Good point DD, if it had an option to be persistent or only upon first view would be a better option.

As much as I love the message. Regular members would tire of it.
Ideally I could click it and it would disappear.
Of once I've seen it, 15min later it would go away :)

I feel then a toggle feature should be introduced.

Here's my suggestion (including digital doctors suggestion)

1. The ability to toggle (disable message once read) DD suggestion.
  2. The ability to use html in the board message.
  3. Styling the board message via css (introduce a template for this) or add to style properties.
  4. board messages (viewable by usergroupid) (forumid) For multiple board messages.
Those first 3 are my main "must have" features within a board message system. I think I read somewhere that some kind of notice system will be introduced into the xenforo core sometime in the future but the first 3 would be nice for the time being.

^^^
So much for keeping it simple. :)

That is the simple version. :) well mine anyway. I feel for a basic notice you have to have the ability to style via css, option for html and a toggle feature for members.

I think I'll make a request for a more advanced notice system. Taking no credit away from Kaiser you did a good job but notices are a feature I use regularly.

Made the request in this thread for people that want to see a more advanced system.

Note: I'm not a coder. I would just like to suggest a feature I've seen on one of the boards. When they have several announcements that apper in different time intervals... I copied the code... perhaps those who understand it could see the benefit of adding this feature to existing mod... I really hope so.
I think the script fader will feed into topic starter's mod really nice http://www.eternal.co.za/scripts/fader/

Code:
<div style="float: left; padding-top: 5px; padding-left: 20px; padding-right: 5px;">
 <b>News, adds</b>:
  ": "
</div>
<div id="smfFadeScroller" style="width: 90%; padding-top: 5px; opacity: 0.99; ">
 <b>
  <noindex>
   <a href="http://xenforo.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">
     <br>
      "xenForo 1.0.0 has been released"
   </a>
  </noindex>
</b>
</div>
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"><!-- // --><![CDATA[
                    // The fading delay (in ms.)
                    var smfFadeDelay = 5000;
                    // Fade from... what text color? To which background color?
                    var smfFadeFrom = {"r": 0, "g": 0, "b": 0}, smfFadeTo = {"r": 255, "g": 255, "b": 255};
                    // Surround each item with... anything special?
                    var smfFadeBefore = "<b>", smfFadeAfter = "</b>";

var foreColor, backEl, backColor;

// List all the lines of the news for display.
                    var smfFadeContent = new Array(
                        "<noindex><a hre" + "f=\"http:\/\/xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-1-0-0-release-candidate-1.10808/#post-145790\" rel=\"nofollow\" target=\"_blank\"><span style=\"color: red;\">xenforo 1.0.0 release candidate.<\/span><\/a><\/noindex> Upgrade Now",
                        "<noindex><a hre" + "f=\"http:\/\/http://xenforo.com/community/threads/board-message.9871\/\" rel=\"nofollow\" target=\"_blank\"><span style=\"color: red;\"><span style=\"background-color: yellow;\">Board Message.<\/span><\/span><\/a><\/noindex>"
                    );

if (typeof(document.getElementById('smfFadeScroller').currentStyle) != "undefined")
                    {
                        foreColor = document.getElementById('smfFadeScroller').currentStyle.color.match(/#([\da-f][\da-f])([\da-f][\da-f])([\da-f][\da-f])/);
                        smfFadeFrom = {"r": parseInt(foreColor[1]), "g": parseInt(foreColor[2]), "b": parseInt(foreColor[3])};

backEl = document.getElementById('smfFadeScroller');
                        while (backEl.currentStyle.backgroundColor == "transparent" && typeof(backEl.parentNode) != "undefined")
                            backEl = backEl.parentNode;

backColor = backEl.currentStyle.backgroundColor.match(/#([\da-f][\da-f])([\da-f][\da-f])([\da-f][\da-f])/);
                        smfFadeTo = {"r": eval("0x" + backColor[1]), "g": eval("0x" + backColor[2]), "b": eval("0x" + backColor[3])};
                    }
                    else if (typeof(window.opera) == "undefined" && typeof(document.defaultView) != "undefined")
                    {
                        foreColor = document.defaultView.getComputedStyle(document.getElementById('smfFadeScroller'), null).color.match(/rgb\((\d+), (\d+), (\d+)\)/);
                        smfFadeFrom = {"r": parseInt(foreColor[1]), "g": parseInt(foreColor[2]), "b": parseInt(foreColor[3])};

backEl = document.getElementById('smfFadeScroller');
                        while (document.defaultView.getComputedStyle(backEl, null).backgroundColor == "transparent" && typeof(backEl.parentNode) != "undefined" && typeof(backEl.parentNode.tagName) != "undefined")
                            backEl = backEl.parentNode;

backColor = document.defaultView.getComputedStyle(backEl, null).backgroundColor.match(/rgb\((\d+), (\d+), (\d+)\)/);
                        smfFadeTo = {"r": parseInt(backColor[1]), "g": parseInt(backColor[2]), "b": parseInt(backColor[3])};
                    }

// ]]>
         </script>
         <script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="http://xenforo.com/fader.js"></script>
        </td>
       </tr>
      </tbody>
     </table>
    </td>
   </tr>
  </tbody>
 </table>
</div>

Here is my EXTRA.CSS entry for Board Watch addon

Code:
p.importantMessage {
    font-size: 18px;
    color: #ffffff;
    border: 1px solid #ff5626;
}

Just for information, that css change will affect all content utilising the p.importantMessage class.

wrap this conditional around the template edit and Board Message will only appear on the XenPorta Portal home page. peace

Code:
<xen:if is="{$contentTemplate} == 'EWRporta_Portal'">
<xen:include template="Board_Message_By_Kaiser" />
</xen:if>

This Mod has been updated to work with Xenforo RC & Above (1.00)
No new features just a change in the installation.

Top Bottom