Blogs and Social Group Addons for XF2?

I believe @JamesBrown already owns the XF1 version of my Social Groups add-on. ;)

I could be wrong and it could be a different JamesBrown.

Either way, it's OK. Everyone has their interpretation of what a group system should be and my version may not suite everyone.

A blog is more than just the article though.
That was my question :D Right now, articles with XenPorta and probably Froala as editor (means default thread posts, just another template to view in) should have everything a blog needs, no? Would be nice if you could gather the mockups.

I'm not all that overly impressed with that add-on from what I've seen. Maybe if I could see someone actually using this on their site I'd be more interested. Maybe it's a great addon and the demo screenshots don't do it justice.

In any case I know @Jaxel would most likely have a great in depth video of his version and likely even on his live site for me to check out. Even with all the footer copyright junk I'd still be more interested in his version.

I'm not all that overly impressed with that add-on from what I've seen. Maybe if I could see someone actually using this on their site I'd be more interested. Maybe it's a great addon and the demo screenshots don't do it justice.

In any case I know @Jaxel would most likely have a great in depth video of his version and likely even on his live site for me to check out. Even with all the footer copyright junk I'd still be more interested in his version.

Register up at @Snog and you can see the social group add-on working and test it all out:
https://snogssite.com/groups/

@Jaxel I think there is a demand for a blogging system. First of all there is no current add-on available for XF2. The only ones in development I've been able to find are ThemeHouse's and Bob's, both which may have a longer-horizon timetable.

I can't say I would buy yours, but I do need a blogging solution - particularly one that can import the old Better Blogs content. I know others are in the same situation.

And here is an existing add-on that is planned to be updated for XF2: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/th-xenblog.4317/
They acquired that from another developer. It's a skimmed down version of an admin news feed rather than a blog, it's misleadingly named. It used to be titled "Admin Blogging" but was renamed for some reason. XF1 didn't have any suitable blog solutions that I can think of, beyond Bob's private one.

The issue in making larger add-ons is that they often don't pay back for themselves and are complex to maintain as one individual, XenReviews is partially a good example. If the initial release has bugs, you end up with customer pressure combined with the bugs and end up losing motivation, as has happened before. If you delay too much in getting a release out, you're constantly spending time developing a long add-on that isn't going to generate any income for a while. The ban on crowdfunding doesn't help with this, but I can see why it was implemented.

The same income can be made with many small add-ons that consistently generate income over time, rather than making a large blog add-on that is harder to make and maintain that won't generate income until release.

Exactly how far off is XenForo from just adding a way to create a Blog section when you choose from nodes? A Blog is basically a open forum page just not part of the main forums just a page/section called Blogs? I just think it'd be better to be embedded as part of the entire site. Just use widgets to dress it up...

Exactly how far off is XenForo from just adding a way to create a Blog section when you choose from nodes? A Blog is basically a open forum page just not part of the main forums just a page/section called Blogs? I just think it'd be better to be embedded as part of the entire site. Just use widgets to dress it up...
This is pretty much where I'm struggeling, see the page before. I don't see the difference betweens Jaxels XenPorta's article system and a blog system, it's just another view. But apparently, there are differences.

This is pretty much where I'm struggeling, see the page before. I don't see the difference betweens Jaxels XenPorta's article system and a blog system, it's just another view. But apparently, there are differences.

Yes it's somewhat very much like that... I am sure coders could manipulate XenForo without creating too much custom content which I would rather see! It's all about the dressing! :p Unless you like you're leafy greens plain!! ;)

I like Snog’s but I need a social groups Addon that can use any user group and not just the registered group ☹️

Hey @Jaxel

Let me provide you with some info, that I hope it can help you save time and money.

About Blogs add-on: Don't really spend time on it. If anyone sees @Bob 's "User Blogs System" add-on, won't spend money on any other add-on. It's feature-rich (and I literally mean feature-rich. I don't know what Blogs add-on you may bring that can make UBS users move to yours) with top-notch support (ask a new feature, and you may get it soon if it is useful and logical, ask for support or report a bug, and you will get a fix in a few hours and will get a full post answering your support request in detail in a few hours, if not minutes). Not asking for money everything you ask too! and usually, weekly updates containing bug fixes and new features -> no affiliate, no promotion. Just an honest review to appreciate his work and help you save time.

About Group add-on: The only add-on out there (for XF1) which really can be called a Groups add-on (In my opinion, I don't say the other options are not good. I just say based on my expectations), is by @truonglv (formerly Nobita). Though it was/is badly buggy! and very very very slow update (which usually are buggy too). Recently he had some speed up and brought some good updates. He ported his add-on to XF2 but as I also mentioned in his site, if he doesn't bring the XF1 version's feature + a few must-have features to XF2 version, I won't use it anymore (and so, if another good developer bring something similar or better, with better support and faster updates, I may think about move in)

Now What? from those two, its better to think more about Groups, than Blogs. But, these 2 things are something that one day (maybe) XF bring some Official add-ons for them (as the competitor brought an awesome example and now expectations are increased from XF). But there is 1 idea which is in high demand and I think would be your best choice (and I feel that XF won't bring something similar, at least anytime soon). For more discussion, feel free to PM me if you want.

Hope this can help you a bit.

Reactions: LPH
Top Bottom