Blocking members from receiving private messages

Ingenious

I seem to be stuck with a way of blocking selected members from either using the PM system, or being blocked from receiving messages.

The only option I can find is to stop them from starting a personal conversation. The only option I can find that blocks use of the PM system is to "never" the view permission, but this trashes use of the whole forum too.

The background to this is either users who abuse the PM system, or, users who do not update their registered emails and I get bounced notifications. In these cases I would like to suspend the messaging system until they update their email.

It would be good to find a way that a user can have the "no permission" response when trying to access the message system and an error generated when another member tries to PM them (eg "That user is blocked from using the PM system").

Any suggestions please?

As far as invalid email addresses, I change their status from 'valid' to 'awaiting email confirmation from edit' in the adminCP. That will suppress the emails alerting people that there is a conversation.

I have also in the past changed the adminCP to 'people that person follows' instead of 'members'. Most members typically do not look at that setting very often.

edited...

Dean that's brilliant thank you. It solves the problem perfectly because not only do they get a massive and clear notice message, but they are forced to do something to restore the main forum options (reply to posts, start PM etc) - and I have edited the phrase to explain this properly so they know what is happening.

I really wish that when you took away a user's PM privileges, it really took away their ability to use the PM system at all. They sometimes post on the forum telling people to PM them so it doesn't stop them, they are still using the system.

Yes I agree with that Blue, it would be good to have a general permission setting "Can use Personal Conversations?", Can Receive Personal Conversations?" and "Can reply to personal conversations?", not just the one we have at the moment. I'm sure this must have been suggested at some point?

Wonder if there is scope for a plugin to do this?

I understand that the developers are adding flexibility as quick as they can. I hope that it will eventually be in the core package. Judging by the notice system, I have total confidence in XF.

Top Bottom