Block Personal Conversation

swatme

if you want a specific user/usergroup not to use Personal Conversation
you can set in in permission settings "Start personal conversations" = NEVER

However if they have already existing conversations, they can still reply
and use the existing conversations they have.

I suggest to have additional permission:
Reply personal conversations :

Upvote 48
if you want a specific user/usergroup not to use Personal Conversation
you can set in in permission settings "Start personal conversations" = NEVER

However if they have already existing conversations, they can still reply
and use the existing conversations they have.

I suggest to have additional permission:
Reply personal conversations :

IMHO, "reply" and "create new" PCs fall under "send a personal conversation message". It would also help to include the ability to receive personal conversations if possible. In essence, disabling the personal conversation system completely or at most, making it "read only".

There are times when one member harasses another. If there is an open personal conversation, that same member can keep on harassing the other member. And we may not want the harassed member to delete or leave that conversation (to keep it as evidence).

Just copying my post to this thread - which I posted in bugs as I see it as a bug/serious flaw:

Conversation permissions - does not work both ways

I am not sure whether this should be classed as a bug or a flaw, but when enabling conversations for a usergroup it lets them bypass the receiver's own usergroup permissions.

Say you have a usergroup for normal registered users where PMs are not activated, and another for Subscribing Users that do have PMs - the latter can start a conversation with the former, which then enables the former to enter into the discussion and join the conversation.

This is undesirable because sometimes we want to simply limit CMs for certain members only.

I can see the benefit for the mod & admin team though, so maybe we need another permission, such as 'allow conversations to be started with those who may not start them themselves' ...then it would be perfect :)

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/conversation-permissions-does-not-work-both-ways.60658/

The problem is more than just letting users carry on existing conversations, it's them being able to bypass the permissions :(

Last edited:
Is there any update on this?

It's becoming a joke on my forum where users banned for a set period dont care because they can just carry on group conversations with their members in what effectively becomes a private forum for banned users.

This is something that I believe would greatly be appreciated by forum admins if it was added in. Theres no point in any of the other permissions if they already have a ton of Conversations with other problem users.

This functionality is sorely missing out of the box

Admins need a way of preventing users from further viewing or replying to ANY conversations (including existing conversations), without needing to ban the user completely.

Top Bottom