1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Block Internet explorer

Discussion in 'Resource and Add-on Requests' started by Degrinch, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Degrinch

Degrinch Active Member

I want to block all guests and visitors that use interenet explorer.

Can someone create an add on that will display a notice to those that choose to use IE to view my domain, that they need to install a different browser in order to use our domain.

I have had so many complications, regardless of the scripts used, with internet explorer that I are gone when I view the domain with a different browser. I am just sick of using IE. and I could care less if I lose 50% of the traffic to my website if it means not having to worry about page display and other complications that are CONSTANT with IE browser.

2. Degrinch

Degrinch Active Member

Did I mention I am sick of using/catering to the complications and illogial BS that comes with coding and the finicky bullcrap that is IE

3. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

I think you need to be a bit more rational.

Everyone has IE users and the associated style issues that it causes. The solution is to do this: nothing.

If someone comes to you with a problem in a browser you don't support you just simply tell them: "that's expected with your version of browser. I recommend Chrome or Firefox. I will not be fixing this issue".

End of story.

You don't have to completely block people.

There's also this, which I created a while ago: This is a nice elegant banner which notifies the user their choice of browser isn't optimal. You can change the message to whatever you like.

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/customisable-browser-update-org-widget.764/

Taxi, Biker and Martok like this.
  4. EQnoble

EQnoble Well-Known Member

5. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

Perfect way to alienate your existing users who access the site from work. There are many occasions where users don't have a choice as to what browser they use. Start blocking one browser over another and I'd be willing to bet you'd see a rather large portion of your user base flee for greener pastures.

Luke F likes this.