Block Ad Blockers

Geoffrey

I'm not sure where to post this, so feel free to move it if it needs to be in another suggestion section.

Anyways, my idea is to stop users from accessing the forum is they have an ad blocker enabled. I'm not sure if there's anyway to check for ad blockers, but one could also check for ads on the page I suppose? I don't know, I 'm not a code writer.

Anyone have any ideas or anyone want to make this? :D

I'm not sure that alienating your users by blocking plugins like AdBlock is a wise idea. First, you risk a mass exodus and second, there are plugins available for Firefox that defeat those blocks.

I've always wanted to know what percentage of my visitors blocked ads.
Just look at the # of ads being shown per visitor and number of pageviews per visitor and it should give you a good guess. For tech related boards such as mine I see around 40% blocked. With mobile phones being used increasingly, I have actually seen the # of blocked ads decrease.

Thanks Brandon.

I've actually decided to only show ads to guests anyways, so not much of a point in bothering to block the ad blockers.

I'm not sure that alienating your users by blocking plugins like AdBlock is a wise idea. First, you risk a mass exodus and second, there are plugins available for Firefox that defeat those blocks.
This. I actually tried this on a big board. It was buggy so I could not use it anyway but even if it would work 100% the permanent members didn't like it at all. But after trying I realized even for guests it's a bad idea. Guests are potential members, you do not want to force them to disable their ad blocker to enter the site as it'll reduce the chance they'll register.

You have to accept that some people will not see the ads, but it's not a majority, so...

Thanks was just looking into this idea - seems its a bad one.

Perhaps elegant responsive design on iPad and phones will have more ads being seen..

Top Bottom