Birthday Thread

Birthday Thread 1.9

No permission to download

AndyB

AndyB submitted a new resource:

Birthday Thread - Automatically creates a birthday thread for your members.

Description:

Automatically creates a birthday thread for your members.

(Example of Options page)

View attachment 96365

(Example of Subject phrase)

View attachment 96366

(Example of Message phrase)

View attachment 96367

Features:
  • Follows "Show day and month of birth" privacy settings.
  • All phrases start with birthdaythread_ for your convenience.
Installation:
  1. Download birthdaythread_v1.0.zip and unzip it....

Read more about this resource...

Hi Andy, I've been waiting for a birthday greeter, as the other one available here doesn't do what I need.

My wishlist for this mod

Choose birthdays from a particular user group/s
Choose someone that has posted in xx days
If several birthdays fall on the same day then they all are placed in one birthday thread.

I have about 15/20 birthdays a day. Many of those are active but never post, i only want to greet regular posters. If they all have a thread each, it fills the front page. a Birthday mod at VB did exactly this and we used it for years, I really miss it. Will you be taking this mod further? will be very happy to buy it if you do. (y)

Do we have to make a special node in the forum just for the birthday threads?
Like if I make a "birthday section" is there a setting where I can make it appear just there?

Nice add-on! @AndyB (y)

How about sending an Alert to the B'day user and also an alert to those user who are following the B'day user? If you consider this, here are few ideas:
  • Send an Alert (with link of Birthday thread) to Birthday User, letting him/her know that we are celebrating his/her birthday today!
  • Send an Alert to those members who are following the Birthday User, letting them know about the Birthday thread.
  • Send an Alert to those members whom the Birthday User follows.
:rolleyes:

Would you display one for future birthdays add, as well as a tip for followers to create that contains birthday xy in 3 days which follow.

bsp:

Hi Andy, Pinn has birthday in 3 days.

Thanks Andy, I note your Q and A re multiple birthdays, but I had 19 birthdays yesterday and 19 threads is just too much. Not only that, some members are more popular or better known than others so one gets lots of birthday wishes and the others less so and that can make the community look cliquey. Much better for all of them to be in one thread. This did work well on VB so I think I'll get someone to look at doing this for me. Thanks again (y)

Thanks Andy, I note your Q and A re multiple birthdays, but I had 19 birthdays yesterday and 19 threads is just too much. Not only that, some members are more popular or better known than others so one gets lots of birthday wishes and the others less so and that can make the community look cliquey. Much better for all of them to be in one thread. This did work well on VB so I think I'll get someone to look at doing this for me. Thanks again (y)

I think you could run into the same issue in a single thread. Some might get ignored while others get all the attention. 19 in one day would be a lot. Maybe an option to have all of the birthdays for that day could be put in one thread.

James

I think you could run into the same issue in a single thread.
Possibly, but I used a vB birthday greeter for about 5 years that grouped birthdays together and in my experience it worked very well. People mostly wish the whole group happy birthday. (y)

Well Andy you know how long I have wanted something like this :whistle: :D

birthdaythread_message and birthdaythread_subject

However I am just a tad confused between the two as I assume on it a forum thread and the other a personal conversation but what is what

Well Andy you know how long I have wanted something like this :whistle: :D

birthdaythread_message and birthdaythread_subject

However I am just a tad confused between the two as I assume on it a forum thread and the other a personal conversation but what is what

Thread subject and thread message...? No PC at all.

Gets the job done. Would like to be able to customize it a bit. The vBulletin one was something like (username) was born on (birthdate) age (age). Perhaps that is possible and I just don't know the phrasing. Would also like the option of either one thread each or one thread per day, though I am okay as is.

Hey @AndyB loving this add on thanks for the alert option.

I altered the time of the cron but it seems time to run twice now each day and i end up with duplicate threads.

My board is set to AEST +10 and when looking at the cron list in the admin panel it shows the cron it set to run at 7.01am AEST and when opening it to configure it the time is 20:02 UTC which sounds right.

EDIT: Its fixed i had two numbers ticked in the cron option. Face palm!

Last edited:
Top Bottom