Better security - no more nulled xenforo's out there :)

And as I said, there are free alternatives too. They aren't being denied anything, instead of selecting to pay for a well developed product they use a nulled/pirated copy of it when there are free alternatives.

That is being greedy and not paying for what you use & enjoy. If you are lobbying for rights as you say, then there should be two way rights. People have the right to earn for their hard work, I am sure that is necessary as everyone's got to earn to keep a roof over their head and to earn bread to fill their stomachs.

No one has the right to kick someone's livelihood away for personal benefit.

The same way how nulled forum software is used on sites that display ads or provide "premium" membership - they collect enough money to make a profit and should purchase a license to support the developers and the product. If they don't, they won't get access to security updates and are more prone to running into security issues, and I would back any add-on developer that uses any tactic to spoil their peace of mind and force them to stop using a nulled copy.

I agree, but Again.. you are accusing me for defending stealing.
that is NOT my purpose.
You cant accuse sociologists for defending crime, when they said: crime is related to sociocultural conditions.
Illegal copies are related to similar conditions.

My opinion... yep. Maybe it would encourage them to use licensed versions.

This is wrong. Full stop.

How do you prove that they weren't taken advantage of by an unscrupulous vendor or implementation contractor, and they either don't know they're using unlicensed copies, or don't understand the licensing model that they bought? What if it was a simple mistake, like someone cloning a single desktop over and over again? How do you tell the difference?

Who are you punishing? The students who are trying to complete their studies? Is it right to destroy their education because Microsoft feels vindictive about unlicensed copies of their product? What about a student who has been provided no other opportunity for an education? What if this destroys two years of research into a life-saving vaccine?

Finally, why do you believe that will encourage licensed copies? Would you feel "encouraged" to purchase a product if the vendor irrevocably destroyed your data as revenge for downloading a product? Do people who are angry at a company usually want to buy their products?

Destructive punishments of unlicensed products are wrong. Period. You never know who you are punishing, or what it means to them, or how they ended up with the unlicensed product.

What about a student who has been provided no other opportunity for an education?
This is a common fallacy. While sad, it is not Microsoft's responsibility to provide that opportunity. Just because they can, doesn't mean they have to. Their software is for sale. If you can't afford it and don't have the opportunity to obtain it legally, don't use it. Instead, go ahead and head over to: http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop, sure you can argue they prefer windows... if that's the case buy it.

This is a common fallacy. While sad, it is not Microsoft's responsibility to provide that opportunity. Just because they can, doesn't mean they have to. Their software is for sale. If you can't afford it and don't have the opportunity to obtain it legally, don't use it. Instead, go ahead and head over to: http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop, sure you can argue they prefer windows... if that's the case buy it.

What? No, it's not a fallacy. I didn't say that Microsoft was the only opportunity for an education, I didn't say it was justified or right to pirate software, and I didn't say that Microsoft was obligated to provide something.

I'm expanding on the example of Microsoft destroying a university's data because of unlicensed copies of their product. You don't know whose data you're destroying, or why, or what circumstances they are in. Is it really right to directly destroy a student's data just because the university did something wrong?

There is something quite interesting I did with one of my plugins.
It got nulled (and it was being shared on a nulled site, also using nulled plugins), but what this plugin did was request an API that I owned, if an ip was a know spam bot I would tell the calling site to return a 404 (I no longer produce this plugin ... it was a bit flawed due to the number of requests it required)

Anyway, for the site that decided to null this software, and use this software on their nulled site, all of a sudden all IPs returned a 404 for them, woops... I wonder how that happened

For them, it appeared their site was down. Through conversation they asked politely to get into their own site so they could uninstall it.

Many people who null are not that technically minded, but I think as Brogan mentioned, anything that can be put in, can just as easily be taken out (given the know how)

I'm expanding on the example of Microsoft destroying a university's data because of unlicensed copies of their product. You don't know whose data you're destroying, or why, or what circumstances they are in. Is it really right to directly destroy a student's data just because the university did something wrong?
As I said, in my opinion it would be fine... but I don't have a tendency to use pirated software. It's no different than being a thief... and that's what amazes me. In some areas, it's accepted as normal business practice - but being caught/convicted as a thief can cause loss of appendages.

If their university is not paying for software, then that's their tough luck for picking such a university.
And yes, I'm really a hardass when it comes to piracy.

If their university is not paying for software, then that's their tough luck for picking such a university.
And yes, I'm really a hardass when it comes to piracy.

I see.

Would you consider it fair if you were thrown in jail because your employer did something illegal that you had no knowledge of?

I see.

Would you consider it fair if you were thrown in jail because your employer did something illegal that you had no knowledge of?
Losing your work and going to jail are very different. I would think it's comparable to losing my work because my boss does something illegal without my knowledge and the company closes so I lose my job/work. Both situations suck for me, neither ones my fault really, but it's a tough break and it does happen.

I see.
As Daniel stated.. going to jail and losing work is a little different. One you are just out of some time that you invested... the other your freedom is curtailed.
But, on an aside.. yes, there have been cases where an employee has gone to jail for something their employer has done and that they had no knowledge of.

I do not understand why people want nulled software for 'testing purposes' when there already is a free demo that you can mess around with...

I do not understand why people want nulled software for 'testing purposes' when there already is a free demo that you can mess around with...

Cause most of the time online demos are very restricted and while you can get a basic understanding of the software that's all you get is a basic understanding. Keep in mind I am not condoning the use of nulled products but I can somewhat understand it.

Cause most of the time online demos are very restricted and while you can get a basic understanding of the software that's all you get is a basic understanding. Keep in mind I am not condoning the use of nulled products but I can somewhat understand it.
You definitely have a point there sir! :)
But still, I would buy XF when I have enough.

Even US Military can't afford Windows 7 genuine licenses...

As a retiree who formerly worked in a NOC supporting over 10,000 users, that's pure bunk.

Regular scans to determine license validity were run once a month with violators getting called into their CO's office to explain why they were using unapproved/unlicensed software.

Really?

As TorrentFreak points out, it's quite possible that the Army has keys for these computers, but they're misplaced.

Even in the military, while there are those who think running bogus copies are fine, they quickly find it's not the case. And deriving that "they can't afford it" when it isn't even mentioned in the link you provided is more than a stretch.

Top Bottom