Better Blogs [Deleted]

You can create a wordpress blog and block parts of wordpress from them whenever they log into the admin panel. You have to do it by setting certain user level permissions by installing several plugins then modifying some of those plugins and even core files in wordpress. I don't even wanna talk about it but I actually got this done and it was a pain-in-the-ass. It's why I don't mess with Wordpress now because they need to set better user permissions and make it more simple.

So when it comes to ease of use I'd say your blog takes a huge dump all over wordpress.

I just can't see why I should buy it or donate for anything extra if you don't want to integrate it to look like the rest of the site.
Well, the full screen mode is actually a feature, I could've left the regular style just as easy and saved a lot of trouble :) I actively didn't want it
Provided it is one template edit to do it, what I can do is that I can give a style for the people that want it to look like the rest of the site. It literally takes 3 minutes to do so.

Well, the full screen mode is actually a feature, I could've left the regular style just as easy and saved a lot of trouble :) I actively didn't want it
Provided it is one template edit to do it, what I can do is that I can give a style for the people that want it to look like the rest of the site. It literally takes 3 minutes to do so.
Please do sir!!!

Please do sir!!!
The following style restores the full navigation, which will make the blogs look exactly like the forums, with the main navbar and all the elements. It will not show that "full screen" mode.

I'll leave this as a resource for customers that want to switch to that mode.

Edit: Removed because this is now a switch in the options

This is awesome, I'm a mad blogger myself. Are you able to make an option for each entry? I just think that option will appeal to a larger community and I know sometimes I like to blog about things that I dont want others or a select few seeing.

Awww man... Why is that?
No particular reason, other than it becomes much more difficult if I add privacy on an entry level basis.
It is not impossible to add and the design allows for that, it is not just a feature it now has.
If the blog has some demand and I can justify putting more development hours I'll add it

No particular reason, other than it becomes much more difficult if I add privacy on an entry level basis.
It is not impossible to add and the design allows for that, it is not just a feature it now has.
If the blog has some demand and I can justify putting more development hours I'll add it
Man not only would I buy but I'd totally donate extra for the addition of private entries.

So it is possible to add the privacy for individual entries. Would it be something that you will be adding in the future or is it dependent on demand?

So it is possible to add the privacy for individual entries. Would it be something that you will be adding in the future or is it dependent on demand?
Right now I will concentrate on fixing any bugs that people may find, and to add some other features that I have on my list that I am personally more interested in (publishing entries in the past, scheduled entries), I might revisit adding more features in the near future.

The following style restores the full navigation, which will make the blogs look exactly like the forums, with the main navbar and all the elements. It will not show that "full screen" mode.

I'll leave this as a resource for customers that want to switch to that mode.
Can you create a demo for what better blogs looks like with this file?

The design is a little different. The user blogs are meant to be a semi-private option for the user. As such, I did a lot of work at removing the basic header and navigation.

I did the same thing in vBulletin and had really good response from the users, while it is still part of the site, it creates more sense of ownership for the user if it does not have a 300px header before their content actually starts. When you add customization, this is a little more relevant since the user is now able to configure the background of the page.

It would be fairly easy to switch to the default Page Container that includes everything, though I am not shipping like that. I want the blogs to differentiate in some way. The default navbar already includes a shortcut for alerts and for returning to the main site. The interaction is designed in such a way that facilitates the reading of the blog, and jumping to other blogs.

Just read this. Can you please provide the template to have the blogs include the header and navigation?

Thanks.

Just read this. Can you please provide the template to have the blogs include the header and navigation?

Thanks.
In this post - http://xenforo.com/community/threads/better-blogs-paid.36836/page-2#post-420080

You can take any of these two paths
  • Option 1 - Upload the style, and have the blog use that (in the options you can select which style the blog uses - make it a children of your style if you want to inherit everything else)
  • Option 2 - Just modify the xfa_blog_PAGE_CONTAINER template with the included template

I found on the xfa-blog-home/ page it does not display the latest updates or anything.

I also changed the xfa page container by copying the forums main page container and pasting it into the xfa one. If this is wrong, please let me know.

Thanks.

I found on the xfa-blog-home/ page it does not display the latest updates or anything.

I also changed the xfa page container by copying the forums main page container and pasting it into the xfa one. If this is wrong, please let me know.

Thanks.

If you copy the main container you will miss a couple of things, there is a javascript file that is used to edit the categories that would not be included, it will include the visitor panel (you would see your avatar in the sidebar, which is not intended - you need to see the avatar of the person's blog), and the personalization wouldn't work because the css is not there.

Which means .. just use this as the template instead, it is pretty much the forums main page container plus the things I just mentioned - http://xenforo.com/community/attachments/xfa_blog_page_container-txt.34818/

------

The home page is cached. I do that in purpose because I ran a site with 800,000 comments and it was hitting the database too hard

You can tune the cache time, go to the options, and adjust the setting to your liking. You could put it to a minute if you wish to.

Screen Shot 2012-09-29 at 1.07.58 AM.webp

Top Bottom