Beta 2 released but ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nestor718

I did not receive email notification. In fact, vB sent an email today saying they had gone to a new version and that's when I decided to come here and check :(

Never the less, I'm happy the next beta version is out and am eager to try it out! :cool:

xF, you might want to send out those emails alerting your customers that a new version has been released.

I didn't get notification either and was waiting for the 4 days one of you mentioned to complete. This was important because my big mod is to be tested for the first time so we didn't want to run a test until the new beta 2 had arrived.

Maybe you could invite people to go on a list to bne3 notified of secondary updates like this? Some of us would be very keen w3hile I can quite see that you don't want to bother others unnecessarily.

Traditionally we wouldn't notify people of a beta release. There's an expectation of involvement in the process if using beta software. But noted.

I'd normally agree about no notifications for beta releases - but until XenForo hits v1.0 stable, I don't think it would do any harm to notify customers of new beta releases (and then go to the traditional stable-only notifications). Ultimately, we've all bought the software in beta - it's not like half of us are running a "stable" release at the moment and waiting for the next "stable" before we upgrade :)

Perhaps subscribe to the announcement section?

Steven You can't subscribe to a section.
This has been criticised before. you can only subscribe to a thread so if a new and important thread appears you don't get notified.
Even though I'm visiting the forums several times in 24 hours there was nothing to alert me to a new thread in Announcements. The title of this new thread was very simiular to the previoius one batr one digit.

Not at the moment.
I have made a suggestion for that.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-add-the-ability-to-watch-a-forum.3476/

You can however follow XenForo so any new threads will appear in your News Feed.

Glad the suggestion is there, thank you.

The News feed is not much use. If I use my news feed it only gives threads I follow.
If I look at the general what's new it's swamped with stuff that is irrrelevant to me. Unless you slavishly check the news feed every 24 hours without fail going all down checking every title over two pages, you'll miss things. Very very few people can be bothered to do that.

We need a forum watch that flags up new threads.

We also need a My Library feature where I can select out my favourite follows, forum, thread, post, member. With annotation.

I've been thinking, Shanj - you should pay someone to build the magnificent custom forum that you want, rather than just being a lazy, demanding pain in the ass around here when people are trying to get some work done.

Now that's just a suggestion. Don't take it the wrong way.

But do feel free to run with it. No charge.

Haven't a clue what rss is.

I'd just like to CHOOSE what I get and what priority it has for me.
I don't want it controlled by the software but by ME.

Nothing personal and I hope you don't take offense to this, but your posts always come off as very demanding. I find that response is generally more helpful and that people are more receptive to suggestions when I use a less interrogating tone.

By the way, if it's as important to you as you make it seem, how much trouble would it be to google what an RSS feed is?

Haven't a clue what rss is.

I'd just like to CHOOSE what I get and what priority it has for me.
I don't want it controlled by the software but by ME.
How do you not know what RSS is as an administrator? But, if you subscribe to an RSS feed for a specific forum (http://xenforo.com/community/forums/announcements/index.rss - announcements forum for example) via an RSS reader (Apple Mail has one. Its the one I use) it will periodically check the feed for new content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom