1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best practices

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by BigSoccer Tech, May 3, 2012.

1. BigSoccer Tech

BigSoccer Tech Active Member

Has anyone put together a best practices list? Like must have add-ons or tweaks or settings?
  2. Floris

Floris Guest

For what?

Migrating / Converting / Importing from x to XenForo?
    Fresh installations?
  3. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

MrC likes this.
  4. p4guru

p4guru Well-Known Member

5. BigSoccer Tech

Thanks. The rating counts and download counts were low enough that I wanted to ask. All that being said, I have successfully moved 25mm posts to Xen!
  6. Eric Russell

Eric Russell Active Member

After reading some of the complaints on your site I'd probably suggest nodes as tabs so people can go directly to the category they want to go to.
  7. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

A bit off topic, but I'm curious how long the import process/migration took you for 25M posts?
    simbolo likes this.
  8. BigSoccer Tech

It's still going on. The command line importer has a ton of bugs which we rewrote over the past month or so. But then during live imports things go wonky. Luckily we imported in reverse chron order and the unlocked threads as they were safe, so we could reopen and keep importing along the way.

The thing I really need is a way to recreate the usercp forum list. I'm gonna custom code it unless you guys have ideas...
    simbolo likes this.
  9. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

Good idea on doing a reverse order import and reopen. I've been mucking around with doing a direct SQL import for the big tables (threads, posts, users, etc.) and just bypassing the datawriters for those content types... I think them I'm done with it, it should be pretty fast (as fast as the database server could load a backup .sql file for example).
    simbolo likes this.
  10. BigSoccer Tech

Anyone have thoughts on the USERCP quesiton?
  11. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you be more specific?
  12. BigSoccer Tech

There's a plugin here for watched forums. But it doesn't do what the vb usercp does, which is give you a list of jsut the forums you are subscribed to, but they look just lik ethe main forum list. follow?