Best places to advertise a forum?

I started photocamel with the kind of hard work I'm talking about, and when people ask me whether they should start a forum, I say, simply, "no." It's not worth it. Devote that kind of energy to almost anything else--college, a job search, computer programming, selling drugs--and you'll come out *way ahead* of where you would have been if you went the "forum building" route.
Wow, that sounds harsh. Maybe it was harder since money was part of the motivation? I feel like trying to get rich running communities is not the easiest way lol.

Wow, that sounds harsh. Maybe it was harder since money was part of the motivation? I feel like trying to get rich running communities is not the easiest way lol.

No, it was not. But unless you have several lives to live and therefore plenty of hours in this life to throw away, then there's always some kind of equation at play between the hours you put into something and what you get back in return. And yes, some of that equation will involve money, for it costs money to start and run a forum--the bigger the forum, the more money it will cost, too. In my earlier post I said you have to be getting something out of it--fun, education, creative exercise, etc.--to make the hours you put into it worthwhile because you will be putting hours into it. Many, many, many hours. (Wait a minute...I don't think I used enough "manys," but I don't have time to enter the correct number right now.) How many of those do you have to give away to building out a(nother) forum?

There's a site called admin zone (actually many such sites...lol) where folks who start forums can post a link to their latest forummy brainchild. Some weeks ago, I spent some time clicking through those forum babies, and guess what? Most of them were 404s, abandoned, no doubt, because their creators saw the work involved and probably said, "oh, well...it seemed like a good idea at the time." ;)

I'm not sifting through all the comments, so this may be a repeat question, but what is your website about?

There's a site called admin zone (actually many such sites...lol) where folks who start forums can post a link to their latest forummy brainchild. Some weeks ago, I spent some time clicking through those forum babies, and guess what? Most of them were 404s, abandoned, no doubt, because their creators saw the work involved and probably said, "oh, well...it seemed like a good idea at the time." ;)
I love helping people in the area of marketing consulting for that reason alone. I can understand their mistake. You have to understand that marketing is the key to building a great community. I find 90% of communities fail before reaching 40 active users.

I have actually agree with this. I see so many communities which have no marketing plan. Without one IMO your chances are very slim.
I am very happy to say my most recent one worked out. However, I have a marketing plan in which I make more for users that come in then it costs to get them in.
I have no "marketing" plan - and my forums were set up in the idea that they will lose money.
For me, it's a hobby (computer related) that I enjoy (in fact the longest running "hobby" I've had - since '85 - and one that I ended up turning into a career). Being retired and a real home-body it gives me a hobby I can do from the house.

I have no "marketing" plan - and my forums were set up in the idea that they will lose money.
For me, it's a hobby (computer related) that I enjoy (in fact the longest running "hobby" I've had - since '85 - and one that I ended up turning into a career). Being retired and a real home-body it gives me a hobby I can do from the house.
Hi there,

Just taking a look at your forums. How do you make money?

O I thought forums turned out to be your career. I figure you need 30K traffic to make a living. I really like making active forums and for me I believe the key is a good monetization structure (if you want to skip ahead of the game). I don't run communities to make money either. I just love being with people online :)

O I thought forums turned out to be your career. I figure you need 30K traffic to make a living. I really like making active forums and for me I believe the key is a good monetization structure (if you want to skip ahead of the game). I don't run communities to make money either. I just love being with people online :)
No, computers did (server hardware, desktop hardware, networking, desktop support - I was a one stop shop where I worked before I retired).

Is 30k enough to make a living?
What's your plan?

Top Bottom