Best opensource CMS

Sar

Which one would you prefer?

I guess most would go with joomla/wordpress/drupal, but what about some others, like Typo3? It has a long curve to learn, but it is hard to deny its power. Anyhow, which one is the best in your opinion?

Which one would you prefer?

I guess most would go with joomla/wordpress/drupal, but what about some others, like Typo3? It has a long curve to learn, but it is hard to deny its power. Anyhow, which one is the best in your opinion?
I think that's a bit like asking "What's the best car?" or "What's the best computer?". I'd say it depends a lot on exactly what you want to do with it. Wordpress is great as a blog based front end, and has thousands of awesome plugins. Joomla! is a LOT more complicated than WP, and takes a bit of wrapping your head around how it works before it makes sense. Drupal has much better admin friendliness, but it's a PITA to work with if you're doing much custom work (IMO), and it's a bit heavy handed with the database.

Concrete looks decent, I wouldn't personally touch Typo3 after having to help migrate a site off it long ago, but it too has it's advantages.

I know it sounds like a cliche, but I honestly don't believe there is a "Best" answer. Different products have different strengths and weaknesses, the key is in *HONESTLY* identifying your own personal needs and what you have an actual need for a CMS to do. Frankly I think "CMS" has become a bit of a buzzword, most people don't need a fraction of the capability they *think* they need.

If it were me, based on what I've learned over the last 5-6 years, I'd specifically enumerate what I plan to actually do with a CMS, and then find out what the simplest thing to use wold be.

Personally? I'm planning on using XF itself (see the link in my sig) as the "CMS". I've worked with almost all of the major options, and having the article content IN the forums itself is far better (IMO) for community engagement, and for SEO in the long run.

I love using wordpress as a framework for my CMS sites, after doing about 20 of them for either work or myself I've gotten together a pretty good collection of plugins and hacks I use to make it work well.

I love using wordpress as a framework for my CMS sites, after doing about 20 of them for either work or myself I've gotten together a pretty good collection of plugins and hacks I use to make it work well.

Do you mind sharing the names of some of the best? I'm still in the process of copying across my content but after that I'm going to have to start sifting through the plugins directory to find extra features I need.

Do you mind sharing the names of some of the best? I'm still in the process of copying across my content but after that I'm going to have to start sifting through the plugins directory to find extra features I need.
Im using:
All in One Seo Pack
Google XML Sidemaps
Shadowbox JS
Tiny MCE Advanced
Wordpress.com Stats
Yet another related post Plugin
Admin Management Extended

and also Im using Genesis Theme Framework, very nice

Problem with Wordpress is the Using of php Memory. More Plugins needs more Memory.
Normaly there is not enough when using 64MB with WP+Plugins+Language Pack and a Forum

Hope that helps.

Used joomla and drupal in the past. Drupal is 1000x better than joomla but its still a major pain in the ass so we're scrapping the whole system we created with it to build our own from scratch within xen framework.

Magic Fields is my favorite, it let's me set up custom post types with fields for just about anything. I'll pull up some more in a bit :)

I actually hate developing on WordPress. It just seems so... complicated and scattered. I guess I'm still surprisingly not used to it after about 8 months in the job...

I think that's a bit like asking "What's the best car?" or "What's the best computer?". I'd say it depends a lot on exactly what you want to do with it. Wordpress is great as a blog based front end, and has thousands of awesome plugins. Joomla! is a LOT more complicated than WP, and takes a bit of wrapping your head around how it works before it makes sense. Drupal has much better admin friendliness, but it's a PITA to work with if you're doing much custom work (IMO), and it's a bit heavy handed with the database.

Concrete looks decent, I wouldn't personally touch Typo3 after having to help migrate a site off it long ago, but it too has it's advantages.

I know it sounds like a cliche, but I honestly don't believe there is a "Best" answer. Different products have different strengths and weaknesses, the key is in *HONESTLY* identifying your own personal needs and what you have an actual need for a CMS to do. Frankly I think "CMS" has become a bit of a buzzword, most people don't need a fraction of the capability they *think* they need.

If it were me, based on what I've learned over the last 5-6 years, I'd specifically enumerate what I plan to actually do with a CMS, and then find out what the simplest thing to use wold be.

Personally? I'm planning on using XF itself (see the link in my sig) as the "CMS". I've worked with almost all of the major options, and having the article content IN the forums itself is far better (IMO) for community engagement, and for SEO in the long run.

Having the content in the forum is better for SEO? Hmmm sounds interesting. Tell us more. Why not just use Wordpress and tack on XF?

Wordpress is a blog that some use as a CMS. But it is not.

1. Drupal
  2. Joomla
Calling wordpress just a blog at this point in it's development is like calling well I can't think of a good comparison for that as I'm really tired but it's much more than that now. Are there products that do a better CMS job out of the box? Sure, but I think with their multiple post types that have been added and the ability to modify the taxonomy now you can use it as a fine CMS that's very user friendly for the folks managing it.

Top Bottom