Best Media Player

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 745
  • Start date Start date
Thanks for all the seggestions, will try them all apart from Windows Media Player - it wont work right on my MPG files it jerks.

Be careful of VLC Player. It has a extremely bad habit of spawning a 30+GB Crashdump file. Basically it would consume your entire hard drive until it runs out of space.

Say what?
Fine there on ubuntu :)

Someone posted this comparison a few days ago on Facepunch:

o1ay.png

i_9w.png

The latter is VLC.

BS.Player looks good just got the free version, looks great I may get the Pro version. :)

It is worth it. I am not against any player in particular but the only other one I really use is MPC but that is on my machines running xp only as it is just lighter in weight and most of my xp machines are slower than my 7 machines. One cool feature for international viewers of moves...I shut it off myself but...it will download subtitles for just about anything automatically when you open it in the player (if you don't use it go to options and select disable subtitles and then go the subtitles section and disable online subtitles and automatically upload/download subs to save that bit of bandwidth.)

Let me know if you go pro with it, I will send you my player skin that I made for it if you do ;-)

Someone posted this comparison a few days ago on Facepunch:

o1ay.png

i_9w.png

The latter is VLC.
VLC adjusts the colors in a way I just don't like there...I can't put my finger on it exactly but it seems like it makes the colors look sickly and shadows look like they forgot about gamma.

It is worth it. I am not against any player in particular but the only other one I really use is MPC but that is on my machines running xp only as it is just lighter in weight and most of my xp machines are slower than my 7 machines. One cool feature for international viewers of moves...I shut it off myself but...it will download subtitles for just about anything automatically when you open it in the player (if you don't use it go to options and select disable subtitles and then go the subtitles section and disable online subtitles and automatically upload/download subs to save that bit of bandwidth.)

Let me know if you go pro with it, I will send you my player skin that I made for it if you do ;-)
MPC also can do that (Options -> Subtitles -> Database)

Music: Foobar, there is nothing that even comes close to it (WASAPI output, really working reply gain, gapless playback with perfect crossfading and much more). It's only drawback is that it can be hard to configure, because the options are endless.

Videos: VLC, BSPlayer, media player classic - there are lots. Even WMP with one of the 3rd party codec packs and ffdshow does a good job at playing almost everything you throw at it.

Absolutely "no go" is RealPlayer. Their history of privacy violations and security issues is simply epic.

VLC has awful quality
Your Add-Ons are awesome Dark but I'm not so sure about your software reviews :p

That said if you don't want to use VLC on windows the Combined Community Codec Pack with any player of the users choice is always a good combination. Personally I wish Microsoft had never destroyed Windows Media Player 6.x (I think it was 6.4).

Your Add-Ons are awesome Dark but I'm not so sure about your software reviews :p

That said if you don't want to use VLC on windows the Combined Community Codec Pack with any player of the users choice is always a good combination. Personally I wish Microsoft had never destroyed Windows Media Player 6.x (I think it was 6.4).
Look at the pictures he posted; there is a noticeable difference in quality, where MPC has the much better quality.

Top Bottom