Best Hosting provider for XenForo?

I have been hosting with xFHost since pretty much day 1. I can stand behind in my comments about saying they are a great host and considering @Mike Edge is a reputable member of the community here he stands behind his service. It is one of the best if not the best host I have ever used.

Not to mention I have over a 50% post:like ratio, which seems to be an important factor in this community. Chicks dig likes.

Has any one used or is using any of the 4 below hosting companies for hosting XenForo? (The VPS's offered by these companies meet the XenForo server requirements):

Has any one found these companies not to be good in any way?

Any reviews from experience?
I haven't used any of those, but if you are looking at an unmanaged VPS then don't leave out RamNode. I have a VPS currently with them. It won't be renewed upon expiration of the period but that's not due to anything they have done but because I now have 3 dedicated servers, 1 of which I have configured to do my own VPS's with.
You can find a discount (lifetime) code at WebHostingTalk for them. The few times I've needed support their ticket response time was fast. Servers are either pure SSD or cached SSD and you can get a KVM (my preference) or OpenVZ with them. I have no affiliation with them other than being a happy customer.

Last edited:
I haven't used any of those, but if you are looking at an unmanaged VPS then don't leave out RamNode. I have a VPS currently with them. It won't be renewed upon expiration of the period but that's not due to anything they have done but because I now have 3 dedicated servers, 1 of which I have configured to do my own VPS's with.
You can find a discount (lifetime) code at WebHostingTalk for them. The few times I've needed support their ticket response time was fast. Servers are either pure SSD or hybrid SSD and you can get a KVM (my preference) or OpenVZ with them. I have no affiliation with them other than being a happy customer.

what about the best fully managed VPS options? what about http://www.futurehosting.com/virtual-servers/ and http://www.knownhost.com/managed-vps-hosting.html? Others?

what about the best fully managed VPS options? what about http://www.futurehosting.com/virtual-servers/ and http://www.knownhost.com/managed-vps-hosting.html? Others?
Never used managed as I feel comfortable myself maintaining all my OS's. Good place to check (not only for prices but reviews) is WebHostingTalk - but theirs are not xenForo specific. For managed I have to defer to some of the others here that are not comfortable maintaining (or have the time) to comment on.

Knownhost used to be very good. Of course, we never used their management services, but we had several of our DNS servers hosted on their VPSs. Never really had too many issues, and uptime was darn near 100%. Think we used them for about 6 years. Haven't used them in a few years though, so who knows?

http://www.bluehost.com/cgi/vps

All of these except Inmotion are owned by the same company...EIG (Endurance International Group). I can absolutely assure you that you do not want to go with any of them. They are a huge company known for buying out smaller, successful hosts, and absolutely running them into the ground. You can learn more about EIG over at Webhostingtalk or similar. Their brands have VERY bad reputations.

Knownhost used to be very good. Of course, we never used their management services, but we had several of our DNS servers hosted on their VPSs. Never really had too many issues, and uptime was darn near 100%. Think we used them for about 6 years. Haven't used them in a few years though, so who knows?

All of these except Inmotion are owned by the same company...EIG (Endurance International Group). I can absolutely assure you that you do not want to go with any of them. They are a huge company known for buying out smaller, successful hosts, and absolutely running them into the ground. You can learn more about EIG over at Webhostingtalk or similar. Their brands have VERY bad reputations.

so what are the best VPS providers you recommend?

so what are the best VPS providers you recommend?

Take my recommendation for what it's worth (I'm a VPS provider myself), but being as unbiased as I can possibly be, I would recommend Knownhost (managed) and Ramnode (unmanaged).
As I said, I haven't used Knownhost for a few years, but when we were with them, we really had very limited problems. Uptime was always really good, support was generally quick if we needed anything, etc. We DID NOT use their management services, however, as we didn't need them. However, they do have a very good reputation in the industry, and are probably the best managed provider out there.

Take my recommendation for what it's worth (I'm a VPS provider myself), but being as unbiased as I can possibly be, I would recommend Knownhost (managed) and Ramnode (unmanaged).
As I said, I haven't used Knownhost for a few years, but when we were with them, we really had very limited problems. Uptime was always really good, support was generally quick if we needed anything, etc. We DID NOT use their management services, however, as we didn't need them. However, they do have a very good reputation in the industry, and are probably the best managed provider out there.
take a look at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=8956832#post8956832 - do you still feel knownhost managed VPS is a good option? Is knownhost really a safe bet for serious hassle-free hosting?

take a look at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=8956832#post8956832 - do you still feel knownhost managed VPS is a good option? Is knownhost really a safe bet for serious hassle-free hosting?

Four very small pieces of downtime compared to the hundreds of good reviews they have over on WHT? Yeah...I'd say they're still a safe bet. There is going to be small downtime with any company. That's just the nature of servers, networks, etc. Amazon, Google, etc. all own their own very large multi-million dollar datacenters...and they still have outages. If you want 100% uptime, you are going to pay dearly for it. $30/mo. isn't going to get you 100% uptime...trust me.

So you're going to find outages with any company. You just want a company that limits it as much as possible, and resolves the situation quickly once something happens.

Your other option as far as managed VPSs are concerned is Liquidweb. Knownhost and Liquidweb are the absolute best managed providers in the industry.

You could also go with an unmanaged VPS and hire your own management company. Rack911, for example, is an excellent management firm. I don't know that they do VPS anymore. I think they largely concentrate on dedicated servers, but you could certainly ask.

Four very small pieces of downtime compared to the hundreds of good reviews they have over on WHT? Yeah...I'd say they're still a safe bet. There is going to be small downtime with any company. That's just the nature of servers, networks, etc. Amazon, Google, etc. all own their own very large multi-million dollar datacenters...and they still have outages. If you want 100% uptime, you are going to pay dearly for it. $30/mo. isn't going to get you 100% uptime...trust me.

So you're going to find outages with any company. You just want a company that limits it as much as possible, and resolves the situation quickly once something happens.

Your other option as far as managed VPSs are concerned is Liquidweb. Knownhost and Liquidweb are the absolute best managed providers in the industry.

You could also go with an unmanaged VPS and hire your own management company. Rack911, for example, is an excellent management firm. I don't know that they do VPS anymore. I think they largely concentrate on dedicated servers, but you could certainly ask.

knownhost.com does seem ok but it does not provide a separate back up option to the regular VPS back up, which is not secure enough... I don't want to lose time on taking back ups at my end, I need a solid 2nd back up option provided by the host.

knownhost.com does seem ok but it does not provide a separate back up option to the regular VPS back up, which is not secure enough... I don't want to lose time on taking back ups at my end, I need a solid 2nd back up option provided by the host.
Takes all of a few minutes depending on which OS you are running. I never understood that kind of comment - if you consider it a "waste/loss" of time - then IMHO your data is not THAT important to you.

Completely agree with Tracy. You should never rely on a host's backup anyway.

So....how many different backup methods do you expect a host to provide you?Knownhost does backups every other day. You expect them to provide you with another completely separate backup as well????

Surely you're joking...

Like to throw out a recommendation for Wired Tree. They have been absolutely the best hosting service I have used in the last 3 years. Was with Knownhost for around a 1 year or so, they were great at first but slowly degraded as problems arose they couldn't seem to track down. We moved to Wired Tree, actually the guys over there moved everything about 5 months ago and we haven't had a single issue and uptime has been near 100%. Granted we have not done much with our sites as far as optimizing goes and they seem to load fast and get good scores on pingdom and such.

Look at webhostingtalk.com for coupons and you'll find great deals on VPS managed hosting with them. ;)

Last edited:
canspace.ca
crocweb.com
hawkhost.com
knownhost.com
softlayer.com
nimbushosting.co.uk

steadfast.net
reliablesite.net
staminus.net

These are the host I would recommend. The ones in bold offer VPS which is seems you are looking for (though I included others for your review). Among them is knownhost.com which it seems others here have also wisely recommended.

I am seriously considering a semi dedicated plan with Hawkhost. Have been with Wiredtree for a few months and in the beginning they were great but to be honest I have had more issues with them than when I was on shared hosting.

I am seriously considering a semi dedicated plan with Hawkhost. Have been with Wiredtree for a few months and in the beginning they were great but to be honest I have had more issues with them than when I was on shared hosting.
I've helped more than a few people on Wired Tree, but never have been a customer myself.... Even so, I would have to agree with your experience.

I have this and the speed is really fast for xenforo.
Never been happier for a low price.

Top Bottom