Best host/server

I would go with @MattW website is here,

Here is his thread on here,

Or KnownHost as suggested above.

so knownhost most people seem to like.

I use Host Rush. You could get a cheap VPS from them. I recommend for a new xenforo forum 4 gb ram package. You could succeed on lower but the price is good. Only downside to a VPS is you have to pay extra for cpanel you can get it at https://www.buycpanel.com

I have used them around 1 year and a half and my site hasn't gone down a single time. Still no issues here. SSH is allowed for VPS (complete root access). If you have a VPS and pay the extra for cpanel you get WHM (web host manager) control panel and full system/server admin privileges for your VPS node which you'll have full admin privileges even if you don't get cpanel however in that case you'll need to opt. for a free panel like webuzzo, vestacp, or webmin/virtualmin which i don't recommend. I always recommend cPanel even though other panels would work. In my opinion it leads to more security risk and other issues. Personally if I didn't want to pay extra for cpanel I myself would opt. for a shared package as cpanel and softaculous is free on most professional hosting though for root access the majority of the time you need a VPS or higher.

I recommend OpenVZ and 4 GB ram package for new VPS sites. If you open a pre-sales ticket with them be sure to mention my name. Good luck buddy.

I like Upcloud for VPS. Only had an issue or two which required any attention on their part and handled easily though the little chat box on the corner of the site. Servers are fast. I also like Digital Ocean for a cloud instance. Both can be inexpensive and dependent on the resources that you choose to deploy and instance.

An interesting article popped up on Reddit about GoDaddy: https://www.igorkromin.net/index.ph...ascript-into-your-website-and-how-to-stop-it/

If this is true, and I wouldn’t know as I’ve never hosted with them, those who prefer GD should probably look into switching that off if you want to boost performance and not run afoul of privacy laws.

Edit to clarify: from the Reddit comments, it seems this only applies to US customers, likely due to EUs privacy laws. I’d still recommend switching it off, though, as any JS code like that is going to needlessly slow down your users’ browsers.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: fly
An interesting article popped up on Reddit about GoDaddy: https://www.igorkromin.net/index.ph...ascript-into-your-website-and-how-to-stop-it/

If this is true, and I wouldn’t know as I’ve never hosted with them, those who prefer GD should probably look into switching that off if you want to boost performance and not run afoul of privacy laws.

Edit to clarify: from the Reddit comments, it seems this only applies to US customers, likely due to EUs privacy laws. I’d still recommend switching it off, though, as any JS code like that is going to needlessly slow down your users’ browsers.
Yeah, I've heard horror stories about their hosting. I use them for my domain registrar for darn near 20 years now. But I would never host with them.

Well that's lovely. I now have 12,0001 reasons to suggest clients don't use GoDaddy.

Thank you for this thread. I have had my eyes on Knownhost for years (while at Servint). I'm going to switch.

I use Liquid Web and have been very happy with them. I think they are worth trying out. They may not be the cheapest around, but they are very good at what they do.

My recommendation is to learn SSH command line and go with either Digital Ocean or Linode.

MattW. Optimized for XenForo, great prices, awesome support. I went thru several hosting companies, including one who lost all their servers to a hack and they did not have their claimed backups. Nothing but good experiences with Matt.

No relation, just a satisfied customer.

Top Bottom