Best / Favorite XenForo 2.x Addons?

arn

This is a bit of a test of the new Q&A thread type, but also a useful topic.

What are your favorite or most useful Xenforo 2.x addons?

• One reply per add-on. Can describe why it's useful. Links to said add-on would be helpful.
  • Upvote replies if already mentioned rather than duplicate replying

arn

If you sell account upgrades and have a special user group upgrade to go with them, this is a must. It'll change their group instantly so they can have their new perks right away.
I believe this is already built in to Xenforo, unless you mean something else. When someone does a USER UPGRADE on my forum, I have it defined within that upgrade package in the "Additional Usergroups" section.

Admin -> Users -> User Upgrades -> Click one of your defined packages and then you will see the Additional User groups option.

That's how I do it to auto assign them to a special group, while their upgrade is active, that displays a banner on there posts to indicate they are a forum sponsor.

Mike

I believe this is already built in to Xenforo, unless you mean something else. When someone does a USER UPGRADE on my forum, I have it defined within It that upgrade package in the "Additional Usergroups" section to check that group ON.

Admin -> Users -> User Upgrades -> Click one of your defined packages and then you will see the Additional User groups option.
It does it, but I don't think the default cron job can be edited to update instantly. I think by default, it takes 20 minutes.

Quick Search 3.4

Search Bar Auto Complete!

Xon's Multi-prefix is my favorite, and incredibly useful addon. Especially if you have any kind of genre based content, or any kind of taxonomic content. I know that there's at least one free forum software out there that allows for multiple prefixes in the core, and I wish XF did, but until then...

Another one by Xon, Aggregating Forums, which alows you to do what the new 2.2 Search forums feature still won't, which is aggregate all your subnode threads in your already existing parent nodes:

Siropu's Chat 2 is a fantastic, feature rich chat addon, that really makes me wonder why some people today are still waiting for that "other" chat addon (you know the one I mean!) to be miraculously resurrected:

An oldie but goody, Similar Threads gets put to a lot of use and I know for a fact I'd get a lot of grumbling if it were to suddenly disappear, so I consider it another essential:

Tag Essentials takes the core tags system up a level and is another great tool for aiding content discovery:

For reasons too numerous to mention, two heavy duty ones by Lukas W., Editor & BB Code Manager (which he will hopefully continue work on):

and User Criteria Extended, now under the TH umbrella:

And someone already mentioned it, but definitely honorable mention to s94 Media Sites, which JoshyPHP is constantly updating:

I think the single best investment is a subscription to Andy Bajka's XF2 Addons program. He offers his collection of nearly 300 add-ons and tweaks for $35. I only use 10 of them currently, but find myself adding new ones regularly.
I'm currently using:
Ban Thread (starts a new thread in our mod sub forum when someone is banned, with details)
Classified Forums (Changes post list avatars in our for sale section to photos of the item from post #1)
Countdown (shows a countdown widget for an event)
Country Registration Check (blocks certain countries from registering)
Members Recently Online (replacement widget that goes back further)
Most Posts (widget to show top posters in 7 days with avatars)
Quick Search (easy searches on top of forums)
Register Email (sends email to staff when someone registers, for screening purposes)
Search Log (Lets staff monitor searches and to look for those trying an exploit)
Similar Threads (Shows similar threads)

Full list https://www.xf2addons.com/resources/

Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Siropu Ads Manager 2. We find this to be invaluable. It handles the entire banner process from signing them up to invoicing and taking payments, emails to advertisers, placement of banners, statistics, etc. We have access to this system set up as a usergroup, and we grant access when someone inquires about advertising. It's pretty much self service after that, and they get to monitor their stats/performance or upload new banners (which we have to approve). It lets us define a graduated pricing program with discounts for longer terms, supports coupons, etc. It lets us define a custom XF group that gets enabled only while the advertiser is active, which we use to put a special title on the advertiser's posts, etc.

We also use it for internal banners of our own, in other places, for holidays and system ads. The support is always excellent, when we have had questions.

We couldn't be happier with this purchase.

Echoing the comments here for Siropu Ads Manager 2 - streamlined ad sales, a powerful solution for a low price with great support. (I've yet to have to ask for technical support directly, but I usually find answers already asked by others and answered by the developer) There are other great addons, but this one keeps the positive cash flow going. :)

Here's a very good add-on that's hidden away in the archives but works perfectly well with 2.1 ...

Allows you to change and add colours to the Text color picker

A hidden gem created by the late Liam (RIP)

It speeds up moderation actions such as inserting replies while locking and applying prefixes.

Of course Bob's articles too :)
I just installed this last week and my god, such a time saver.

I think the single best investment is a subscription to Andy Bajka's XF2 Addons program. He offers his collection of nearly 300 add-ons and tweaks for $35. I only use 10 of them currently, but find myself adding new ones regularly.
I'm currently using:
Ban Thread (starts a new thread in our mod sub forum when someone is banned, with details)
Classified Forums (Changes post list avatars in our for sale section to photos of the item from post #1)
Countdown (shows a countdown widget for an event)
Country Registration Check (blocks certain countries from registering)
Members Recently Online (replacement widget that goes back further)
Most Posts (widget to show top posters in 7 days with avatars)
Quick Search (easy searches on top of forums)
Register Email (sends email to staff when someone registers, for screening purposes)
Search Log (Lets staff monitor searches and to look for those trying an exploit)