Before I buy XenFero

dah

I'm currently running the demo version of XenFero. I'm looking to buy XenFero this weekend. What I want to know when I buy the XenFero package are my ability to make a domain for my website (custom domain to pick) as for the demo version of XenFero it says domain is insecure etc....?

What's the best website to buy a domain and a hosting server?

Just to highlight some key elements before you go ahead with buying a domain and hosting plan

1- There are 3 main types of hosting plans
a- Shared server
b- VPS short for virtual private server
c- Dedicated Server

As a start, you want to go with a shared server. don't even think about exploring b and c options

2- a Domain name is the url to your site www.example.com. There are many domains registrars out there and it does not matter which registrar you use as they all going to serve the same purpose. I personally prefer Name Cheap, GoDaddy and Inmotion. I would recommend you get your domain and server from same provider.

3- Choose your domain name wisely. Don't exceed 15 characters, avoid hyphens and numbers. Choose a name that represents your niche.

Xenforo community members are here to help in case you have any further inquiries or need help setting up your site and putting it alive.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Generally good advice, but I would not recommend getting your domain name from your webhost, since this can sometimes present problems if you decide to switch hosts at some point.

You still can point your domain if you to switch hosts in the futures. What problems are you referring to?

You still can point your domain if you to switch hosts in the futures. What problems are you referring to?
Often the host is in control of the domain and perform changes for you. It's also common for the whois records to indicate the owner being the webhost. Having complete ownership of the domain and control is far more preferable but for someone with little knowledge of DNS then purchasing a domain with the web host is probably a good thing for anyone that doesn't want to learn the basics.

In the past, there have been issues for some that the host refuses to release the domain to them, claiming that the domain and registration of it belongs to said hosting provider.
That is one of the main reasons that many will recommend getting your domain registration from somewhere else than your hosting provider.

Top Bottom