Resource icon

[bd] Mails 1.1.0

No permission to download
What happens in XenForo when a user marks an email as spam?
It will be reported back to the provider depending on the email client that the user is using (not all email client reports, some of them just makes an internal filter for future email from the same sender for example).

When bdMails marks an email as bounced, does it get added to the standard Email Bounce Log?

I'm not seeing anything listed there even though I know a few users have bounced...

Otherwise, is there a different log I can check to see who's had their email address changed to bounced?
No, it is not added to XenForo log. You can see the bounced log in Mandrill.

Quick question - just had an instance where a user was forwarding their email and got a bad mailbox bounce from Mandrill and set the user to invalid email. That user then check their email on their profile and said it was correct - what steps would the user need to do to manually set the email as valid? Would just saving the profile be enough or does a physical change to the email address have to occur?

Thanks,

Quick question - just had an instance where a user was forwarding their email and got a bad mailbox bounce from Mandrill and set the user to invalid email. That user then check their email on their profile and said it was correct - what steps would the user need to do to manually set the email as valid? Would just saving the profile be enough or does a physical change to the email address have to occur?

Thanks,
When you said "forward their email", what does that mean?

@xfrocks

I'm currently using this mod to send out newsletters via mandrill.

According to the mandrill stats, I had 78 hard bounces, however nothing is showing up in my xenforo bounced logs nor if I search for users with a bounced email address.

Any help really appreciated

Even if it's working it won't appear in the Xenforo bounced logs. It will show up in the user change log.

You should see it when you search for users with a bounced email address though... did you check the box in the bdmails options that says "process bounces"? Otherwise it's sending but not processing the bounces. The process bounces is not checked by default.

Yeah, it logged that the target email was rejected by the provider and it should put that user into email bounced state.

Any chance you could offload this into a separate log in the next version? I too get worried when I see 'server errors have been logged', especially when this is working as designed.

Weird, I've been using this addon, including processing multiple bounces, and never seen a "server errors have been logged" error caused by BD mail... which errors are throwing that if it's not normal bounces?

Found a serious bug in recent version

Code:
ErrorException: Undefined variable: writer - library/bdMails/XenForo/DataWriter/User.php:32
Generated By: *********, Yesterday at 7:46 PM
Stack Trace
#0 /var/www/***/library/bdMails/XenForo/DataWriter/User.php(32): XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(8, 'Undefined varia...', '/var/www/...', 32, Array)
#1 /var/www/***/library/XenForo/DataWriter.php(1446): bdMails_XenForo_DataWriter_User->_preSave()
#2 /var/www/***/library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/Account.php(999): XenForo_DataWriter->preSave()
#3 /var/www/***/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(347): XenForo_ControllerPublic_Account->actionContactDetailsSave()
#4 /var/www/***/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#5 /var/www/***/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#6 {main}

This can be solved with editing "library/bdMails/XenForo/DataWriter/User.php" and replacing

Code:
if ($writer->getOption(XenForo_DataWriter_User::OPTION_ADMIN_EDIT))

with

Code:
if ($this->getOption(self::OPTION_ADMIN_EDIT))

Currently using Mandrill to send messages, however when I change back to default, none of the emails go through.

Anyone else having this issue or know how I can resolve it?

This is the server error:

Code:
Zend_Mail_Transport_Exception: Email to myemail@gmail.com failed: Unable to send mail. - library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Sendmail.php:137
Generated By: Unknown Account, 1 minute ago
Stack Trace
#0 /home/airportc/public_html/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): Zend_Mail_Transport_Sendmail->_sendMail()
#1 /home/airportc/public_html/library/Zend/Mail.php(1194): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail))
#2 /home/airportc/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/MailQueue.php(71): Zend_Mail->send(Object(Zend_Mail_Transport_Sendmail))
#3 /home/airportc/public_html/library/XenForo/Deferred/MailQueue.php(10): XenForo_Model_MailQueue->runMailQueue(7.9999990463257)
#4 /home/airportc/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(256): XenForo_Deferred_MailQueue->execute(Array, Array, 7.9999990463257, '')
#5 /home/airportc/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(390): XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred(Array, 7.9999990463257, '', false)
#6 /home/airportc/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(335): XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal(Array, NULL, '', false)
#7 /home/airportc/public_html/deferred.php(23): XenForo_Model_Deferred->run(false)
#8 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
["url"] => string(39) "http://airportcitygame.com/deferred.php"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(4) {
["_xfRequestUri"] => string(26) "/conversations/add?to=Dave"
["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
}
}

Weird, I've been using this addon, including processing multiple bounces, and never seen a "server errors have been logged" error caused by BD mail... which errors are throwing that if it's not normal bounces?

Here was the last one.

AdminCP

Code:
XenForo_Exception: [bd] Mails: Sending mail failed, log is available at /home/public_html/internal_data/bdmails_1421008692_8d04066ce2e129803244c536e4abab4d.log - library/bdMails/Transport/Abstract.php:75
Generated By: Unknown Account, Yesterday at 12:38 PM
Stack Trace

#0 /home/public_html/library/bdMails/Transport/Abstract.php(61): bdMails_Transport_Abstract->_bdMails_log(Array, '[{"email":"edit...', false, Array)
#1 /home/public_html/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): bdMails_Transport_Abstract->_sendMail()
#2 /home/public_html/library/Zend/Mail.php(1194): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail))
#3 /home/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/MailQueue.php(71): Zend_Mail->send(Object(bdMails_Transport_Mandrill))
#4 /home/public_html/library/XenForo/Deferred/MailQueue.php(10): XenForo_Model_MailQueue->runMailQueue(7.99999904633)
#5 /home/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(256): XenForo_Deferred_MailQueue->execute(Array, Array, 7.99999904633, '')
#6 /home/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(390): XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred(Array, 7.99999904633, '', false)
#7 /home/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(335): XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal(Array, NULL, '', false)
#8 /home/public_html/deferred.php(23): XenForo_Model_Deferred->run(false)
#9 {main}

Request State

array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(46) "https://www.domain.com/deferred.php"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(3) {
    ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(63) "/threads/thread.threadnumber/"
  }
}

Delete... Close

In the log file

Code:
array (
  0 =>
  array (
    'to' =>
    array (
      0 =>
      array (
        'email' => 'editor@memberdomain.com',
      ),
    ),
    'headers' =>
    array (
      'X-To-Validate' => '3396f0a8+editor@memberdomain.com',
      'Message-Id' => '<908d28e9aa188f1cd7808b46762f0711fa1124db@www.domain.com>',
    ),
    'from_email' => 'admin@domain.com',
    'from_name' => 'Site Title',
    'subject' => 'thread title - New reply to your conversation',
    'text' => 'member1, member2 replied to your personal conversation at Site Title:

"thread title"

----------------------------------------------------------------------

<EMAIL CONTENT OMITTED>

',
  ),
  1 => '[{"email":"editor@domain.com","status":"rejected","_id":"060f1517c8e34b958270725fba6d0cca","reject_reason":"soft-bounce"}]',
  2 => false,
  3 =>
  array (
    'microtime' => 0.2464449405670166015625,
  ),
)

Last edited:
@xfrocks

In addition to the question above, I have one more :D

I've run into this a couple times now. A user actually has a valid email address, but they're 'trapped' in the bounced group, usually due to a temporary hard bounce from the ISP. They can't verify their (valid) email address, since it says the address does not need to be verified (it's not awaiting verification). The workaround is for them to go in and change it, then change it back to the one which bounced originally.

I started to write a thread about fixing this, for my members, but it seems there could be a cleaner/easier/more professional way to do this.

Any thoughts?

Sending mass user emails from ACP ( /admin.php?users/email ), with Mandrill sending active, does the integrated bounce handling still work?

I didn't test this mod, but on XF 1.4 I can use mandrill with smtp credential and is working fine. I did a check on outgoing mail and received a 10 score on http://www.mail-tester.com/
I also set a bounce email address and is working. The users with invalid email are set to "invalid (bounced email).

What I don't understand what is the advantage of using this addon on XF 1.4? Thank you in advance

Sending mass user emails from ACP ( /admin.php?users/email ), with Mandrill sending active, does the integrated bounce handling still work?
@xfrocks Bug. Appears the bounce handling is this scenario is not working. For the email addresses that bounce, the user account is not being set to 'Email invalid (bounced)' for user state.

Will this ever get sendy support?
Probably not. Since Sendy is a little different from this just an email sender (you have to manage lists and campaign etc.). I do have plan for a Sendy add-on though. It just won't be this add-on.

Any chance you could offload this into a separate log in the next version? I too get worried when I see 'server errors have been logged', especially when this is working as designed.
It should not log server error into the log file. Can you post the log?

Found a serious bug in recent version

Code:
ErrorException: Undefined variable: writer - library/bdMails/XenForo/DataWriter/User.php:32
Generated By: *********, Yesterday at 7:46 PM
Stack Trace
#0 /var/www/***/library/bdMails/XenForo/DataWriter/User.php(32): XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(8, 'Undefined varia...', '/var/www/...', 32, Array)
#1 /var/www/***/library/XenForo/DataWriter.php(1446): bdMails_XenForo_DataWriter_User->_preSave()
#2 /var/www/***/library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/Account.php(999): XenForo_DataWriter->preSave()
#3 /var/www/***/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(347): XenForo_ControllerPublic_Account->actionContactDetailsSave()
#4 /var/www/***/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#5 /var/www/***/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#6 {main}

This can be solved with editing "library/bdMails/XenForo/DataWriter/User.php" and replacing

Code:
if ($writer->getOption(XenForo_DataWriter_User::OPTION_ADMIN_EDIT))

with

Code:
if ($this->getOption(self::OPTION_ADMIN_EDIT))
I have fixed this, sorry for the problem.

Currently using Mandrill to send messages, however when I change back to default, none of the emails go through.

Anyone else having this issue or know how I can resolve it?

This is the server error:

Code:
Zend_Mail_Transport_Exception: Email to myemail@gmail.com failed: Unable to send mail. - library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Sendmail.php:137
Generated By: Unknown Account, 1 minute ago
Stack Trace
#0 /home/airportc/public_html/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): Zend_Mail_Transport_Sendmail->_sendMail()
#1 /home/airportc/public_html/library/Zend/Mail.php(1194): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail))
#2 /home/airportc/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/MailQueue.php(71): Zend_Mail->send(Object(Zend_Mail_Transport_Sendmail))
#3 /home/airportc/public_html/library/XenForo/Deferred/MailQueue.php(10): XenForo_Model_MailQueue->runMailQueue(7.9999990463257)
#4 /home/airportc/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(256): XenForo_Deferred_MailQueue->execute(Array, Array, 7.9999990463257, '')
#5 /home/airportc/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(390): XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred(Array, 7.9999990463257, '', false)
#6 /home/airportc/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(335): XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal(Array, NULL, '', false)
#7 /home/airportc/public_html/deferred.php(23): XenForo_Model_Deferred->run(false)
#8 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
["url"] => string(39) "http://airportcitygame.com/deferred.php"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(4) {
["_xfRequestUri"] => string(26) "/conversations/add?to=Dave"
["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
}
}
When you disable the add-on, you will need to ask XenForo support for this. But my guess is your server does not support sendmail or similar.

Top Bottom