[bd] Mails - Make sending email easier.

[SYSTEM SUPPORT]
XenForo 1.2.x -- YES
XenForo 1.1.x -- YES

[FEATURES]
1. External email provider: Mailgun, Mandrill

Demo: https://xfrocks.com/

[INSTALLATION]
1. Upload files and directories inside `upload` to XenForo's root directory. Select "Merge" for everything if you are asked.
2. Import the .xml file using XenForo add-on importer.
3. Configure provider as needed.

Read more about this resource...

Q: Why this add-on?
A: Because:
  • `sendmail` email often ends up in Trash (especially if your server got moved around)
  • SMTP via Google Apps is slow
  • No tracking support (open/click)
Q: Why Mailgun?
A: Because free 10k emails/month.

Q: Why Mandrill?
A: Because free 12k emails/month.

Q: Why not Sendgrid/Amazon SES/provider X?
A: Because I don't use them, yet.

Q: How about bulk sending tool/bounced address reminder/feature Y?
A: Maybe, maybe not... Depending on how many people need the feature.

Last edited:
In Europe you have to pay large email providers if you want to get on their white list (means they guarantee your mails will never be sorted as spam). This payment is app. $2500/year and not affordable for smaller web sites.

This is why it makes sense sometimes to use an external email provider who has paid this fee. My Question: Can your add-on be extended for different email providers easily? Because those you offer are not common in Europe.

In Europe you have to pay large email providers if you want to get on their white list (means they guarantee your mails will never be sorted as spam). This payment is app. $2500/year and not affordable for smaller web sites.

This is why it makes sense sometimes to use an external email provider who has paid this fee. My Question: Can your add-on be extended for different email providers easily? Because those you offer are not common in Europe.
Q: Why not Sendgrid/Amazon SES/provider X?
A: Because I don't use them, yet.

Q: How about bulk sending tool/bounced address reminder/feature Y?
A: Maybe, maybe not... Depending on how many people need the feature.
:D

Will this also count the mails and send 10k with Mailgun and then use Mandrill for the next 12k?:D
To be honest, I thought about that but the feature is not implemented, yet. First because it's kind of cheating (they have to pay their bills etc.) and more importantly, round robin will make it hard to add some other features (e.g. inbound processing ;) )

Does this addon send all outgoing email through extenral email providers or are some emails still sent through the php function?

Nice. This will be very useful for small sites and larger sites with a substantial budget.

Mailgun is super cheap over the 10k month.. cheap-o :D
Mandrill is actually cheaper I think. But please don't quote me on that :P

I'm using Amazon SES but will definitely check this out with the Mandrill/Mailgun as Amazon has problem with sending email address via the contact form.
http://xenforo.com/community/thread...-with-amazon-ses-or-other-smtp-service.32308/

Do you know if Mandrill/Mailgun support this?
It went through. The add-on actually replace the "From" address to use the configured domain. I checked the log and the "Sender" header does get sent to Mandrill.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-09-07-20-43-25.webp
    Screenshot_2013-09-07-20-43-25.webp
    38.9 KB · Views: 226
  • Screenshot_2013-09-07-20-45-19.webp
    Screenshot_2013-09-07-20-45-19.webp
    47.2 KB · Views: 229
  • Screenshot_2013-09-07-20-48-15.webp
    Screenshot_2013-09-07-20-48-15.webp
    94.7 KB · Views: 201
It went through. The add-on actually replace the "From" address to use the configured domain. I checked the log and the "Sender" header does get sent to Mandrill.
Just to confirm, when people use my contact form and enter their email address, Amazon SES fails to email because the customer email address is not verified (only my domain email is verified)
Will your Mandrill or Mailgun allow to pass the customer's email as From address when sending?

Just to confirm, when people use my contact form and enter their email address, Amazon SES fails to email because the customer email address is not verified (only my domain email is verified)
Will your Mandrill or Mailgun allow to pass the customer's email as From address when sending?
Check my screenshots. The email will go through but the "From" address will be replaced with an address of the configured domain (in my site, it will be xenforo@mandrill.xfrocks.com). The "Sender" header will be sent to external provider but Mandrill seems to filtered it when they deliver the email. So I would say: it kinda works.

It's important to note that if your "Default Email Address" option is set to an address with different domain, all out going email will be sent from xenforo@domain.com.

Configure provider as needed

^^^Oh God! @ all these options. Gonna take me awhile to figure this out. Not even sure I can.

So I searched for "z" in WHM and found Edit DNS Zone.

I see that Record Type: TXT Hostname: 8thos.com and Value is already in there.

Does mailgun want me to replace that entry with theirs or add theirs as a new entry?

So I searched for "z" in WHM and found Edit DNS Zone.

I see that Record Type: TXT Hostname: 8thos.com and Value is already in there.

Does mailgun want me to replace that entry with theirs or add theirs as a new entry?
Just add it as a new entry.

Reactions: DRE
Just add it as a new entry.
Reconfiguring Mail Routing:
  • LOCAL MAIL EXCHANGER: This server will serve as a primary mail exchanger for 8thos.com's mail.: This configuration has been manually selected.
Okay that worked. On to the next one.

Top Bottom