[bd] Attachment Store [Deleted]

Yes, FTP can be used with any provider that allows file upload via ftp. There is no guide because it's quite simple, you can ask here if you have issue.

Yes, you need to choose default in the attachment option page. Run the move tool to move existing files to default location. Then choose S3 in the option page and run the move tool again.

Yes, it is possible.

Thanks sir.

One last question, can I make this work with Media Gallery Attachments? (can't seem to specify default locations of the media galleries), wondering if there's a backdoor method, and I didn't read up whether this plugin supports it.

Actually just checked and it seems to have problems with offsite storage and Xengallery causing thumbnails to be moved offsite and needing to be manually rebuilt after the delayed processing job runs... Are you aware of this one @xfrocks ?

Last edited:
Simple question.
How can I avoid the expiration of the images?
I mean, this after some minutes:
R 2015-05-17 at 13.25.51.webp
Edit, well, I guess, just change this option in the distribution:
R 2015-05-17 at 13.40.27.webp
I hope so :coffee:
aaa1.gif

Last edited:
Thanks sir.

One last question, can I make this work with Media Gallery Attachments? (can't seem to specify default locations of the media galleries), wondering if there's a backdoor method, and I didn't read up whether this plugin supports it.

Actually just checked and it seems to have problems with offsite storage and Xengallery causing thumbnails to be moved offsite and needing to be manually rebuilt after the delayed processing job runs... Are you aware of this one @xfrocks ?
The gallery add-on render its own thumbnail in data directory (not handled by XenForo attachment system) so those thumbnails won't be saved to S3. It is also does not work with delayed processing so you need to turn it off.

Simple question.
How can I avoid the expiration of the images?
I mean, this after some minutes:
View attachment 106307
Edit, well, I guess, just change this option in the distribution:
View attachment 106308
I hope so :coffee:
View attachment 106309
The point of signature is to have image url expired after a time (so people can't directly link to your image and use your bandwidth, which costs you money). If you want to keep the urls non-expire then disable the restrict viewer access option for your CloudFront distribution.

The gallery add-on render its own thumbnail in data directory (not handled by XenForo attachment system) so those thumbnails won't be saved to S3. It is also does not work with delayed processing so you need to turn it off.

Thanks but that kind of kills the plugin for me, without delayed processing there's very significant lag during picture uploads when offsite storage is specified. Are there plans to fix this and make it work with xmg? Seems the issue is specific to delayed processing, no?

Also, say I had a forum where I already installed your plugin and moved my attachments off site (ftp). If I reset the plugin to default location (local) and then manually ran the cron job to move media to my FTP site once a week (disable delayed processing).

Would that a) break existing attachment links pointing to my FTP/offsite server b) break media gallery thumbnails during the weekly move?

Appreciate the help.

Last edited:
The point of signature is to have image url expired after a time (so people can't directly link to your image and use your bandwidth, which costs you money). If you want to keep the urls non-expire then disable the restrict viewer access option for your CloudFront distribution.
I'll do that (meanwhile xd) Thank you again! ;)

Thanks but that kind of kills the plugin for me, without delayed processing there's very significant lag during picture uploads when offsite storage is specified. Are there plans to fix this and make it work with xmg? Seems the issue is specific to delayed processing, no?

Also, say I had a forum where I already installed your plugin and moved my attachments off site (ftp). If I reset the plugin to default location (local) and then manually ran the cron job to move media to my FTP site once a week (disable delayed processing).

Would that a) break existing attachment links pointing to my FTP/offsite server b) break media gallery thumbnails during the weekly move?

Appreciate the help.

The issue is still being checked but it does not happen all the time so it's harder to track down and fix it. The recommended way for two add-ons to work together is to disable delayed processing. (Yes, it is specific to that feature).

If you set the option to default, existing files that are in FTP will be kept in that server unless you run the move tool.
When you run the move tool yourself, files that are in FTP will be moved back to default. And it's likely that thumbnail will be broken unless you run the rebuild thumbnail tool.

The issue is still being checked but it does not happen all the time so it's harder to track down and fix it. The recommended way for two add-ons to work together is to disable delayed processing. (Yes, it is specific to that feature).

If you set the option to default, existing files that are in FTP will be kept in that server unless you run the move tool.
When you run the move tool yourself, files that are in FTP will be moved back to default. And it's likely that thumbnail will be broken unless you run the rebuild thumbnail tool.

Thanks. I'm just going to hold off until you fix your plugin to work with XFMG. I've since migrated my CDN to amazon/cloudfront and have disabled delayed processing and the remote attachment store (basically as if I didn't have the plugin). When you get it running with XFMG and fix the issue where thumbnails for albums are removed I'll be asking a few questions on how to reestablish S3.

Thanks again.

I'm thinking about CDN77 and I'd like to know if this CDN work with this addon and how can I set it up properly. Thanks!

I used it with cdn77 until their 'trial' period ended. Keep in mind that 50gigs free with cdn77 isn't actually free after 30 days :) Just setup cdn77 as an ftp target and it works.

Ok but that way I simply replace the other domain I use to serve images. I'd like to use it as a true CDN not just as attachments repository

@ichpen I've read here that if you've setup a cdn you can just check the radio button Store file in External Data directory so that all the attachments are served from the cdn. Can you confirm this? I doubt that I've to use the FTP since I've created a pull zone so that the files are automatically taken from my server and copied from the CDN.

Can @xfrocks confirm this?

To setup he CDN I've followed the instruction here XenForo CDN

Another question @xfrocks thanks. i've always keep disabled the checkbox KEEP LOCAL COPY and I've checked it just now. Question is if all the attachments are copied back on my server or not. Since I've setup a pull zone, the CDN will try to copy all the attachments from my server to the CDN but since KEEP LOCAL COPY wasn't enabled I'd like to know what happen if now I check the STORE FILES IN EXTERNAL DATA DIRECTORY.

Thanks!

@ichpen I've read here that if you've setup a cdn you can just check the radio button Store file in External Data directory so that all the attachments are served from the cdn. Can you confirm this? I doubt that I've to use the FTP since I've created a pull zone so that the files are automatically taken from my server and copied from the CDN.

Can @xfrocks confirm this?

To setup he CDN I've followed the instruction here XenForo CDN

Yes that's how a cdn works. You ftp local content and pull from cdn. You can define the base url in the plugin to pull from the CDN on cdn77.

Keep in mind this plugin will break xf media gallery if you use deferred processing.

I was unclear.

Now I've setup this mod so that all the attachments are uploaded via FTP to another server (not the CDN).

Now I'd like to use CDN77 and I've setup everything but my pull zone is my server (where XF run) and not the other one where the attachments are uploaded.

So the problem is that since I've not selected Keep local copy, my fear is that as I switch to Store file in External Data directory, CDN77 cannot pull all my attachments from my server since there isn't anything here...

I don't want to loose all my attachments obviously :)

Last edited:
Here's the problem @xfrocks

this is my data directory on the server running XF

Schermata 2015-07-09 alle 15.44.25.webp

and this is the directory on the external server where all my attachments are stored

Schermata 2015-07-09 alle 15.44.42.webp

they don't match as you can see so my fear is that if i switch to Store file in External Data directory, the cdn cannot copy all the files from my server since they're not actually there.

What can I do?

Here's the problem @xfrocks

this is my data directory on the server running XF

View attachment 110812

and this is the directory on the external server where all my attachments are stored

View attachment 110813

they don't match as you can see so my fear is that if i switch to Store file in External Data directory, the cdn cannot copy all the files from my server since they're not actually there.

What can I do?
Hi there,

You can change the option in Attachments page to default then run the move tool in AdminCP > Rebuild Caches. Existing attachments that are in your remote server will be downloaded back to your local server (XenForo server).

Top Bottom