XF 1.2 BB vB forum with vbseo URLs - how to best handle

dutchbb

So I have been active on the forums here almost since the start yet have not upgraded my big board yet (have been waiting for certain core features to be added).

But I'm starting to become ready to prepare the move to XF now.

The first thing I'm looking at is how to handle the vbseo URLs, I've got two options that I could find after reading some threads here

1) uninstall vbseo first, and look for the redirections to the old vb URLs so Google can start changing the indexed URLs from vbseo -> vb

Then go from there and use Mike's redirection script to redirect the old vb URLs to XF URLs (my question then is: does it also redirect all the internally posted vbseo URLs ?)

2) keep vBSEO installed and try to find a way to redirect those URLs to XF URLs.

Basically I'm looking for the method best for SEO so that traffic isn't harmed for too long.I also prefer to work in smaller steps so members aren't shocked with changes. Currently I'm inclined to go with option 1) since it's a smaller step and seems easier to handle.

What's the recommendation here and is there any tutorial to follow the right steps to achieve this as smooth as possible?

Thanks

I thought Ace Shattock or something created a vBSEO redirect script on an external site for vBSEO

Since I'm in the same boat as you, so I'm eager to find a solution.

1) uninstall vbseo first, and look for the redirections to the old vb URLs so Google can start changing the indexed URLs from vbseo -> vb

Then go from there and use Mike's redirection script to redirect the old vb URLs to XF URLs (my question then is: does it also redirect all the internally posted vbseo URLs ?)
This is the common/recommended way. You don't necessarily have to uninstall vBSEO. There's a tool to help generate redirects: http://tools.geekpoint.net/xfseo/

So I'm thinking it goes like

1) Install clean XF on new forum destination directory (domain.com/forum/)
2) Keep old forum directory as subdomain in place (forum.domain.com) <- can this cause conflicts?
3) Import vB data into XF
4) Get rewrite rules from http://tools.geekpoint.net/xfseo/ and put them in .htaccess and place it within the old vB forum directory (still need to find out how that works with NGINX ...)
5) Google et all will notice a permanent redirect for any indexed vB URLs and update the indexed URLs to XF URLs as well as redirect all traffic to the new URLs?

Did I miss anything?

If you need specific instructions for your import then please provide an example thread URL from vB and it's new URL in XF. Then I can know exactly what to do for your redirects. Otherwise you can follow the generic instructions posted above.

vB and vBSEO aren't needed. Appropriate redirects can be setup to go from vBSEO URLs to XF.

If you need specific instructions for your import then please provide an example thread URL from vB and it's new URL in XF. Then I can know exactly what to do for your redirects. Otherwise you can follow the generic instructions posted above.

vB and vBSEO aren't needed. Appropriate redirects can be setup to go from vBSEO URLs to XF.
So do you agree with my steps in #4 or would you do it in a different way? I'm just preparing the correct steps so I'm sure it will work. Do you have a better way of rewriting than http://tools.geekpoint.net/xfseo/ ?

Those steps work, but sometimes they are not all necessary. There is also context like the install locations of vB and XF which can affect the rewrites and location of the htaccess file. If you provide specific examples of old and new thread URLs then I can provide exact instructions for your specific import.

So do you agree with my steps in #4 or would you do it in a different way? I'm just preparing the correct steps so I'm sure it will work. Do you have a better way of rewriting than http://tools.geekpoint.net/xfseo/ ?
I wouldn't disable vBSEO on your vBulletin forum. That will only make Google crazy about your site. You can perfectly import to XenForo and redirect all your vBSEO links to XenForo.

I did this and I was able to rewrite vBulletin links to XenForo without much problem. I had the vBulletin archive active as well with a few modifications (I removed the index.php from the url using vBSEO) and I had to rewrite that as well but it works for the most part.

Top Bottom