Battlefield 3 Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucas

As Battlefield 3 is launching this coming October and I had these two domains sitting with me, I thought I'd give it good use and as anxious as I am waiting for this game, create a community to discuss all aspects, rumors, news and anything related to Battlefield 3 and the Battlefield series games.

Currently I am running the forum with a premade skin and modified logo. The logo might look weird at first, but the idea is actually having thos images as if they were photos of war, for them to look as portraits, that's why I didn't do any gradient between them and 'merge' the image.

I'd love to get any opinions and ideas on how it's looking and what might be a nice idea or change for my upcoming community.

I'm having a lot of ideas in mind for it, I'm just slowly working on them right now. It's been a while since my last online project.

http://bf3talk.com or http://battlefield3talk.com

Be gentle please.

My son is looking forward to this game too.

Whilst it is a nice style, I personally can't look at the style you are using, the text is wayyyy tooo light on that dark background, too much contrast, but then again, I doubt I am your target market ;)

Best of luck with your forum. :)

I LIKE it! Especially the scrolling header. However, Kim is correct. The text - not the links, but the regular text - is too light. I found myself squinting to read it.
You really need to brighten the text up. Also there's too much white. Both text and and links including the navbar links, as well as the page titles, are white.

You have a green sign up now button. Why don't you incorporate that same green into either the text or links?

Just a thought.

I thought you guys were having a hard time with the light text against the dark background. Or am I misunderstanding something?

I can't talk for Peggy, but for me the text was Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too light, it is blinding against the dark background, so yes a darker text colour would work for me.

I thought you guys were having a hard time with the light text against the dark background. Or am I misunderstanding something?

Bah! Yes too light is what I meant. But darkening up the gray isn't going to help. Gray text against black very rarely works.

I can't talk for Peggy, but for me the text is Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too light, it is blinding against the dark background, so yes a darker text colour would work for me.

Other than gray.

Lucas, the text is already against a black background and gray has black in it, which is why it's not standing out. The darker gray you go, the more it's going to blend into the black background.
A pale green, or cream (yellowish-white), would work. You just need to use something that does not have black as a base color.

I would tend to disagree somewhat with what Peggy said, I think a darker gray text might work very well, it would for me for example, but then you do run the risk that some people will have problems with it due to a number of reasons.

A different colour tone might be sensible if you don't mind introducing an actual colour rather than just grays.

I have seen this style on a number of sites now, and it always amazes me that Ehren designed it with basically white text on black, which is very very hard to take visually... he is an excellent designer, but this one needs a re-think on the text colour imho.

I would recommend blending the scrolling image together. I'm not really thrilled with the scrolling effect. I do like the glowing animation when hovering over the logo.

Also, brining more color to the forum would be great, using this image as an inspiration.
battlefield_3_tease.jpg

Using the dark blues/orange/gray.

I would recommend blending the scrolling image together. I'm not really thrilled with the scrolling effect. I do like the glowing animation when hovering over the logo.

Also, brining more color to the forum would be great, using this image as an inspiration.

Using the dark blues/orange/gray.

Definitely something to consider. I'll go ahead and play with some of that see what I can come up with.

Thanks for all the constructive criticism and support everyone! :)

Reactions: Kim
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom