Batch update nodes

Stuart Wright

This suggestion is prompted by the new options for general discussion forums, where for the majority of our (hundreds) of forums, I want to set them to allow Poll, Questions and Articles but turn downvoting off.
This is going to take quite some time. Note the number of forums we have in the attachment below (which is so long, that you can't read them. But take my word for it, this is our actual node list!)
Note also that with the various addons we use, there are lots of further options available in the forums, shown in the other attachment below. Similarly very long.
What I'd like to see is a batch update nodes function.
The ability to search for nodes based on the key properties in the node edit screen.
The resulting nodes enabled in a display of the full node list with a tickbox next to each node (with select/deselect all tickbox, of course) which allows the admin to select a whole bunch of the nodes in the result set.
(I think it's useful to show all the nodes so that the result set can be seen in context of the full node structure).
Then a batch update screen which allows a batch update of the selected nodes based on the usable options in the node edit screen.
Obviously with warnings if something nasty is going to happen like when changing the node type.

Now I know there is going to be a limited number of admins who would really use this function. But the larger forums like ours would find it immensely useful in not only changing the settings for large numbers of forums but also to see what settings exist for what forums.

Folks please upvote this if you like the idea.
Cheers.

Attachments

• 1.webp
    1.webp
    24.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    30.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Upvote 13
This suggestion is prompted by the new options for general discussion forums, where for the majority of our (hundreds) of forums, I want to set them to allow Poll, Questions and Articles but turn downvoting off.
This is going to take quite some time. Note the number of forums we have in the attachment below (which is so long, that you can't read them. But take my word for it, this is our actual node list!)
Note also that with the various addons we use, there are lots of further options available in the forums, shown in the other attachment below. Similarly very long.
What I'd like to see is a batch update nodes function.
The ability to search for nodes based on the key properties in the node edit screen.
The resulting nodes enabled in a display of the full node list with a tickbox next to each node (with select/deselect all tickbox, of course) which allows the admin to select a whole bunch of the nodes in the result set.
(I think it's useful to show all the nodes so that the result set can be seen in context of the full node structure).
Then a batch update screen which allows a batch update of the selected nodes based on the usable options in the node edit screen.
Obviously with warnings if something nasty is going to happen like when changing the node type.

Now I know there is going to be a limited number of admins who would really use this function. But the larger forums like ours would find it immensely useful in not only changing the settings for large numbers of forums but also to see what settings exist for what forums.

Folks please upvote this if you like the idea.
Cheers.

Even on my smaller forum this would be useful!

Yup, I had to create a python + selenium script to edit each node setting one by one because I have tons of nodes in my forum. I wish we had such feature.

Top Bottom