XF 1.4 Banned Users Desynched - How do I fix this?

Joe Link

Some of the users banned in the past have the "Banned Members" usergroup set as their primary usergroup. Others are not members of the "Banned Members" usergroup, but show up when you click the Banned Users link in the admin panel. Add User Group on Ban is not set.

Let me know if there's a better way, but I'd like all banned members to be added to the "Banned Members" usergroup, then removed if and when their bans expire. I thought this was how I had it setup.

I think I can fix this by:

1. Enabling the Add User Group on Ban option.
2. Adding users on the 'Banned Users' screen to the "Banned Members" usergroup (secondary).
3. Moving users with "Banned Members" as their primary usergroup to "Registered", then setting their secondary usergroup as "Banned Members".

Am I missing anything?

The user group is meaningless to an extent.

Banned users are banned. No matter what their primary or secondary user group is. The setting to set a user group is for secondary. Setting one manually nay not be removed upon expiration.

The main benefit of the user group is things such as username styling. Not sure there is much else to it. Especially since if the group revokes permissions and is still set when the ban expires it is more of a hinderence.

Also note that manually moving users into a group is not the same as the system being told to do it programmatically. A use will only be removed from the banned group automatically (on unban) if the system itself put them there.

Looking into this more, I think the users were put in the secondary group by vBulletin, before we switched to XenForo.

If I wanted to get everything on the same page, what would be the best way of doing so? I'm willing to unban all of the banned members to start fresh, if need be.

Alright, I batch updated everyone in the banned group back to the Registered group.

If I add all the banned users to the banned users secondary usergroup via batch update, it won't remove them when the ban expires, right? Is there a way to make it so it does?

If I add all the banned users to the banned users secondary usergroup via batch update, it won't remove them when the ban expires, right? Is there a way to make it so it does?
That's correct. The only way to trigger it would be to setup the ban group configuration in XenForo and then unban and re-ban the users.

Top Bottom