Banned users and "time-outs"

JacqueStrapp

Does Xenforo have a "time-out" feature for naughty users? Instead of banning them outright, can users be banned for 48 hours, for example? Or is it just banning them from viewing and participating outright?

Banning IP addresses like that is a great way to ensure you have a quiet forum (y)
Yeah... especially if you don't do it carefully... of course, some folks just get ban-happy (it's a power thing) and don't worry about people being able to have access and join.
I do blocking by ASN's for server access.. but even then you have to be careful because if you (or a user) has shared your content elsewhere, sometimes XF shows their server as a "guest" as they access that content... and it's easy to block that shared content (which you usually don't want to do as it can bring more users).

Yeah... especially if you don't do it carefully... of course, some folks just get ban-happy (it's a power thing) and don't worry about people being able to have access and join.
I do blocking by ASN's for server access.. but even then you have to be careful because if you (or a user) has shared your content elsewhere, sometimes XF shows their server as a "guest" as they access that content... and it's easy to block that shared content (which you usually don't want to do as it can bring more users).
If you just block somebody for the sake of it then you're obviously don't understand what a forum is all about.

For example i know a bloke who will just block somebody every time they jump on his forum to ask himself something.
Silly because then he captures your ip address and then goes on to your forum and stalks it.
Screenshots everything and then finds your address and takes you to court.
But that's what he does.

Top Bottom