Banned users and "time-outs"

JacqueStrapp

Does Xenforo have a "time-out" feature for naughty users? Instead of banning them outright, can users be banned for 48 hours, for example? Or is it just banning them from viewing and participating outright?

That's over 16 million IP addresses, not just their work IP. You do you, but that is probably the worst advice you can ever give someone
It works for me mate.
For example the only time i wouldn't do this if one of the developers here or at your workplace were doing something for me.
Then i'd make sure that their ip's aren't touched.
I remember when the check for upgrades first happened on here i had some help from chris d who gave me the instructions to do it myself after.

it's their work ip address mate that i range ban.
something like 4.15.0.120 i'll range ban the 4.*

Is this why your website shows as a fully blank page now, including to the google insights bot? You've banned it?

Banning IP addresses, especially today, is almost completely useless. Set aside the fact that just about everyone nowadays has the means to just change their IP address with a VPN. I have a website that shows multiple users using the same IP address yet they live in completely different area codes and don't even know one another exist. If I banned one of those users, by their IP address, I'd be banning all of them (and any others who use that IP address and want to register).

Is this why your website shows as a fully blank page now, including to the google insights bot? You've banned it?

Banning IP addresses, especially today, is almost completely useless. Set aside the fact that just about everyone nowadays has the means to just change their IP address with a VPN. I have a website that shows multiple users using the same IP address yet they live in completely different area codes and don't even know one another exist. If I banned one of those users, by their IP address, I'd be banning all of them (and any others who use that IP address and want to register).
Same here lmao. They probably banned all of the IP's in Texas as it shows as a white page down here in New Braunfels lol.

No the issue with the blank page is that the logo hyperlink navigates to /forum but does not append index.php so there's a server misconfiguration where it's not serving index as the default page for a directory.

Ahh, good catch. The point still remains, though, that trying to ban a single person, using a wildcard after the first octet, will result in a LOT of unintended bans. Not that you didn't know this. I'm just trying to keep the topic on point.

Basically, if you are going to ban an IP address, don't ban with a wildcard after the first octet (such as 14.*).

Oh absolutely. Just trying to offer some advice re the website.

Banning whole ranges like that is absurd. Heck my first port of call when I used to IP ban back in 2010 was the full IP address. Then I'd go up an octet as it was required. Starting with 192.168.0.* and then 192.168.*

(note: IP's are for example only and I did not ban "localhost/private network IP ranges 😂)

Given the large scale unintended consequences of an IP ban for very little gain described in this thread, do people think it would be a good idea if the IP ban feature was removed from a future XenForo?

Given the large scale unintended consequences of an IP ban for very little gain described in this thread, do people think it would be a good idea if the IP ban feature was removed from a future XenForo?
Not necessarily. I've had the same IP address at my home network for a long time. IP changing or sharing tends to happen on shared networks (vpn/4g/5g/proxies) but usually local ISP network IP's don't change that much unless you're forcing a DHCP renewal

Whenever I employed IP range banning, I was sure to only target the IP ranges that particular VPN organization had allocated. These were temporary bans to mitigate an on-going issue and released when the issue was thwarted.

Adding ip range banning to my moderation tools enabled moderators to immediately prevent a banned user using a particular vpn from coming back immediately with a new account and new IP. The IP ranges an organization has allocated to them is public information available via the plethora of online ip lookup tools.

Whenever I employed IP range banning, I was sure to only target the IP ranges that particular VPN organization had allocated. These were temporary bans to mitigate an on-going issue and released when the issue was thwarted.

Adding ip range banning to my moderation tools enabled moderators to immediately prevent a banned user using a particular vpn from coming back immediately with a new account and new IP. The IP ranges an organization has allocated to them is public information available via the plethora of online ip lookup tools.
This.
I'm also talking cloud based ip addresses rather than normal ip addresses.
Companies like Microsoft use these.
I'd know i'd be in a bit of strife if i ip range banned normal ip addresses

Ban's are very confrontational and tick people off really hard because they feel silenced and they come back with a new account and a drive to cause destruction.
I also ban and delete and block that person's ip address. It means those others who have that isp and end up getting that ip address they cop it sweet from me.

Top Bottom