Banned users and "time-outs"

JacqueStrapp

Does Xenforo have a "time-out" feature for naughty users? Instead of banning them outright, can users be banned for 48 hours, for example? Or is it just banning them from viewing and participating outright?

Just to clarify, banned members cannot login, regardless of whether the ban is perma or temporary.
They can login, but they only see a ban notice (optional ban reason and end time).
You need to set the permissions to never in order to override the 'no' in the user group permissions.
You mean: to override the "yes" in other user group permissions. 🤔

Basically a user can be a member of many user groups. If there are only "no" values for the permission in question, then the permission check returns false. If there is at least one "yes", but no "never", then the permission check will return true. And if there is at least 1 "never", then the system will not grant that permission, also if there are "yes" values too.

Regarding banned members: You can automatically add them to an additional user group, if you want. But you cannot give them any permission to use the forum. This additional user group is suited for user name styling and such things.

Does Xenforo have a "time-out" feature for naughty users? Instead of banning them outright, can users be banned for 48 hours, for example? Or is it just banning them from viewing and participating outright?
I forgot to reply here. Yes it does, it's called 'User discouragement and discipline'. Discouraged users can have things like higher delays between making posts, being redirected to a page of your choice, or even randomly get returned a blank page or error in an attempt to discourage the troll and have them give up and leave on their own terms. It's more tailored to make trolls discouraged and leave but you can surely repurpose the delay between posting functionality as a time out.

I forgot to reply here. Yes it does, it's called 'User discouragement and discipline'. Discouraged users can have things like higher delays between making posts, being redirected to a page of your choice, or even randomly get returned a blank page or error in an attempt to discourage the troll and have them give up and leave on their own terms. It's more tailored to make trolls discouraged and leave but you can surely repurpose the delay between posting functionality as a time out.
Thats not the topic.

That's one of my favourite features as it's got real novelty value for me and I've used it a couple of times on some difficult users. I even tried it out on one of my test accounts, set at various levels. It can really ramp up user frustration and put them off posting - great for dealing with the trolls that it's aimed at.

Top Bottom