Implemented Ban user from thread?

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Banning a user from a specific forum has already been suggested here:
» [Suggestion] Ban members from a single forum.

Mike's reply from that thread:
[...] As you get the full range of permissions, you could easily prevent a user from posting anywhere, or prevent then from posting in a particular forum (or prevent them from viewing that forum), or even give someone access to download attachments in a forum when they normally couldn't.

Been taking a lot of heat for being unable to do this (just deleted 50+ posts in a flame war thread started by one person).

The OP on a thread on my forum wants me to ban an instigator cause he/she lost a clan war for whatever reason.

I think there used to be an addon for this but can't seem to find it now.

A ban user from thread addon would be very useful.

I'm sure I've suggested this as well. Shouldn't really be too hard to do as an addon. Add a table to keep track of user_ids and thread ids and if user_id is listed against the thread_id, treat them as they have no rights in the particular forum.

Some may call it a fudge, but it would probably work!

Shouldn't really be too hard to do as an addon.
Yes if you do not care about:
- Informing the user that they have been banned/unbanned (alert)
- What happens when threads are merged or deleted
- Option to view thread but not being able to post
- Removing the ban from the table upon user delete
- And so on...

Other than that, it's easy peasy.

EDIT: June 16, 2012
You may want to check out the Thread Ban add-on ;)

This is implemented already, you can click the avatar and then the ban button :)
No, this will not ban someone from accessing a specific thread. Clicking at the ban link in the user's membercard lets you ban the user completly.

Edit: Ninja'd.

This is an old thread but I will post here instead of creating a new one.

Back before vB became an expensive disaster I used the addon that allowed you to ban a user from a specific thread. Thread, not forum or board.

XF does not have that function and I know there is a paid addon. But honestly, this should be a core function.

Call me cheap, but paying for additional features gets expensive over time, adds to board maintenance needs and the addon can die if it is stopped being supported.

This is an extremely useful feature that adds a ton of flexibility to moderation. You don't always want to ban for more than just a thread and closing it is overkill for the rest of the users. :)

This has been implemented but the the feature is "reply ban"
"This user will still be able to view this thread, but will not be able to reply until the ban expires"
There are not some way to avoid the user view that specific thread?
something like:
07f1c347d23ff51f3e90a85b55b85e18.png
?

No, that's not an option.
It's a reply ban, not a view ban.

Even then, if such a feature was available and the thread was publicly visible, they would just have to log out or go incognito to view it.

Top Bottom