Baking Forums - Newbie in need of feedback

Becky

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site, nice to be here. I have designed my own hobby forum years ago (don't have it any more though), and now that I have a bit more time on my hands I've had a bash at another. The previous site used vBulletin, but their latest software seems a little odd to say the least... I jointly administer other XenForo sites and I really like how it works, and from my experience the members definitely like it too.

I'm really rusty when it comes to design, and I'm not completely happy with what I've got so far, but here it is for your consideration:

http://www.baking-forums.com/

I liked the colour at first but now it grates on me, so I might change it at some point. I was just wondering whether you guys had any suggestions for changes or improvements? My thinking so far is that I need a little more contrast in the header - I really like the font so perhaps I'll lighten the background, but all suggestions are very welcome!

Hey Becky, nice site! I wasn't to fond of the colors the moment I loaded the page but they actually blend very well together, great job. While I like the logo the T in that font makes it look like Baking Torums. Nice icons in the nav and the node, shows a lot of effort was put into the skin :).

I would change the color of the footer though, the shade of brown doesn't go well with it personally.

Great job though overall :)

Purchase the Resource Manager and use it as a Recipe Database ?

I'd personally go for the showcase add-on for using it as a recipe database.

I like the homely feel of your site Becky it seems to have a personal touch to it that makes it inviting. Try changing a few colours and experiment if you don't like the colours much. Personally for me I think it looks good.

Nice Work. :)

The forum gives the same feel as walking into someone's home where there is baking going on. :love:

Looks great. I agree with Shelley in that the Showcase addon would be better for a recipe site as images are everything with baking (taste but that doesn't factor in when viewing the forum).

I don't think the colors are bad. Kind of reminds me of a...wait for it....bakery (or a kitchen)! I like how you moved the member login to the side bar, too!

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone - much appreciated! I'm glad you all felt that it looked homely, that was the look I was going for (despite having reservations about the colours).

Hey Becky, nice site! I wasn't to fond of the colors the moment I loaded the page but they actually blend very well together, great job. While I like the logo the T in that font makes it look like Baking Torums. Nice icons in the nav and the node, shows a lot of effort was put into the skin :).

I would change the color of the footer though, the shade of brown doesn't go well with it personally.

Great job though overall :)

Good points re the font 'F' and the footer. I'll have a go at editing the F, and the footer would look better in a lighter shade.

Purchase the Resource Manager and use it as a Recipe Database ?

I'd personally go for the showcase add-on for using it as a recipe database.:)

Thanks for the suggestions - we've already bought the resource manager but holding off using it until there are custom thumbnails and custom fields (but not as add ons - want to avoid upgrade problems down the line). The showcase add on does look really good though, so we might use that in the future if the custom elements don't appear in the next few months.

Cute forum, very homey and welcoming :)

I can attest to the Showcase Add on being very good for recipes http://www.yumforum.com/index.php Although not perfect it is a very very good Add on, and I just love Bobster to bits!

I love your site design, it looks fantastic! I see what you mean about the showcase being good for recipes (just been drooling over that Dark Choc Ganache Cake!).

Do you think it would be overkill having a gallery as well as a recipe database? I've been thinking about it because some people like to share photos but don't have the time to write out recipes.

Do you think it would be overkill having a gallery as well as a recipe database? I've been thinking about it because some people like to share photos but don't have the time to write out recipes.

No, not overkill in my opinion. The more facilities you give members the more content they can upload. A gallery is a good way for people to share photos as you say, if they don't want to post a full-blown recipe. In any case, it's always worth trying these things, you can easily remove it if it doesn't work or detracts from other sections.

I love your site design, it looks fantastic! I see what you mean about the showcase being good for recipes (just been drooling over that Dark Choc Ganache Cake!).

THanks very much Becky :)

I guess it comes down to what the focus of your site is, whether it is more "show and tell" or a recipe site.... mine is more of the latter and less of the former, so the Showcase works really well for me... but it is not a Gallery, my only slight niggle with the Showcase is how hidden away the additional photos are.

Showcase is for Text based content with some photos.

Gallery is for Visual content with little or no text content.

So you need to make that decision as to which is your focus I guess :)

I know... my thread has a guzzilion as well.

NOt sure if it is a bug, or someone posting in both has a "tail" lol

Crikey, over 5000 views - thanks so much folks! :love:

Ingenious and Kim make some very good points about the gallery, but for now I think it might detract from the forums - I want to keep content focused there given it's just early days. I'll definitely revisit it in the future though, I was just looking at the Xen Media Gallery and I really like it (although I'm looking forward to seeing the proposed album function too).

Off to tackle that 'F' now, I'll let you see how I get on...

F changed and footer gone - howzat?!

logo.jpg

I had a play around with the vectors, hopefully it blends in quite well.

Top Bottom