Backupsy

Completed now? I did mine yesterday .... 11:17 payment confirmation, 12:17 VPS ready, 12:27 OS installed. Maybe just a very busy day for them?
Finally was done by about 5am... but I had to do a new provisioning for it due to a iPXE error on boot. Almost have it set up now for the rsync. About to take a nap before I get to tired and mess up!

Out of interest, what backup method are you using? I've setup and trialling rsnapshot to use with it currently.
Just normal rsync executed from a bash script via cron

Code:
#!/bin/bash

/usr/bin/rsync -aHAXxv --numeric-ids --delete --progress --exclude '/home/virtfs' -e "ssh -T -c arcfour -o Compression=no -x -p XXXX" /home matt@xxxxxx:/xxx/xxx/xxx/VPSBACKUP

Just normal rsync executed from a bash script via cron

Code:
#!/bin/bash

/usr/bin/rsync -aHAXxv --numeric-ids --delete --progress --exclude '/home/virtfs' -e "ssh -T -c arcfour -o Compression=no -x -p XXXX" /home matt@xxxxxx:/xxx/xxx/xxx/VPSBACKUP
quick question... since it's running from a script, why do you want to include the progress (the --progress option).

quick question... since it's running from a script, why do you want to include the progress (the --progress option).
That's a good question actually. I sometimes run it manually, so I like to see what is happening when I fire it off. I put the cron to dev/null to I don't get mails with the output.

That's a good question actually. I sometimes run it manually, so I like to see what is happening when I fire it off. I put the cron to dev/null to I don't get mails with the output.
I may play with mine some and see if I can put some variables in that will allow additional parameters to be passed when calling the script. Whenever I'm doing mine via cron I do /dev/null also.

Wow, this was the fastest server set-up in history. My server is ready, and I ordered only 30 minutes ago.

Wow, this was the fastest server set-up in history. My server is ready, and I ordered only 30 minutes ago.

Most decent companies set up VPSs immediately. It's all an automated process, assuming you pass all the fraud measures. So 30 minutes is actually quite slow. Not going to complain though...I love the Backupsy folks. :)

Glad yours was... about 7 hours (and 3 tickets) for mine and ended up having to provision it myself since their "automatic" routine apparently borked the Debian Wheezy 64 bit install. Other than that I can't complain about it so far.
As far as fast setup goes, my RamNode VPS was up and running within about 5 minutes of my payment being confirmed (that was me getting the email notifying me it was up).
@MattW should have gotten an affiliate link activation from me also as I clicked on his link and then later came back and made a purchase (and from what I understand it uses cookies to track).

why not just backup to amzn S3 using s3tools and call it done? even cheaper than $7/month ;-)

why not just backup to amzn S3 using s3tools and call it done? even cheaper than $7/month ;-)
I personally have an aversion to Amazon. Amazon S3 probably would be better for someone that is not server administrator knowledgable.
Also I'd probably end up having to do the paid instead of the free due to my backup methodology.

I personally have an aversion to Amazon. Amazon S3 probably would be better for someone that is not server administrator knowledgable.

explain please? it seems a hell of a lot easier to dump mysql, tar up your directory(ies), compress, encrypt, and **** up to S3 and into glacier vs managing a VPS for rsync...

explain please? it seems a hell of a lot easier to dump mysql, tar up your directory(ies), compress, encrypt, and **** up to S3 and into glacier vs managing a VPS for rsync...
Again, for someone who cannot set up a Linux server it probably is. Takes me all of 15 minutes to set up a VPS for rsync to back up.
That's why I said it would be easier for someone who cannot set up a VPS and manage it. If you don't like having full control of your system then Amazon would be the way to go. I DO like having full control over it. I also have 500 GB of storage space, unlike with S3's free setup (which you end up paying for after 12 months).

Uhhhhhh...500GB of storage on S3 would cost $47.50 per month, and that doesn't include data...unless I'm missing something.

And you can't just use straight rsync right? You have to use their tools and create a bucket and a mount point on your server and all sorts of other nonsense.

No thanks.

Uhhhhhh...500GB of storage on S3 would cost $47.50 per month, and that doesn't include data...unless I'm missing something.

are you backing up 500G? doubt it.

also, learn about the options for "reduced redundancy" or better yet the pricing on glacier. its way cheaper that what you quoted ;-)

And you can't just use straight rsync right? You have to use their tools and create a bucket and a mount point on your server and all sorts of other nonsense.

No thanks.

you create a bucket, and just use s3cmd to push the file(s) up via the restful api. no need to make a mount point on your box at all.

are you backing up 500G? doubt it.

also, learn about the options for "reduced redundancy" or better yet the pricing on glacier. its way cheaper that what you quoted ;-)

Me personally? We back up dozens of TBs. So for me...yes. Would other people use the entire 500GB of space? Who knows. Most places have cheaper, lower disk space options.

Glacier is extremely expensive (and slow...it takes up to several hours to get your data back). It's all on tape backup drives. Not at all suitable for backups in a production environment. Who can wait hours to get to their backup data?

And why the hell would you ever want a "reduced redundancy" backup? ROFL!! Backups should be of the highest redundancy possible, so you actually have them when you need them.

The "eggs in one basket syndrome" :) I've been using, and am continuing to use, S3 for my backups but also extending to to include a separate rsnapshot (rsync) location. I'll modify S3 to be long-term compressed glacier backups, and use my VPS as immediate availability of recent backups. And you'll only get around ~72 Gb storage space on S3 for the same price.

Last edited:
Me personally? We back up dozens of TBs. So for me...yes. Would other people use the entire 500GB of space? Who knows. Most places have cheaper, lower disk space options.

Glacier is extremely expensive (and slow...it takes up to several hours to get your data back). It's all on tape backup drives. Not at all suitable for backups in a production environment. Who can wait hours to get to their backup data?

And why the hell would you ever want a "reduced redundancy" backup? ROFL!! Backups should be of the highest redundancy possible, so you actually have them when you need them.

Glacier is cheap, 1cent per GIG. So 500gig = 5 bux! Glacier is not tape based. AWS has no tapes in any availability zones, in any datacenters. Thats not how they roll. Reduced redundancy just takes amazon s3 files from 99.999999999% to 99.99%. perfectly acceptable.

My server backup for a forum with 62,000 users, 17M posts, and a heavy amount of images for a few side apps on our site is literally 10cents per backup since I shunt the files into glacier.

Top Bottom