• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Backup

whynot

Is available in XF a built in,relatively reliable backup function,similar to MySQLDumper?
Yes,I know that the best backing up of a database is through SSH.

I used mysqldumper over the last years with my vb-board and it was a reliable life-saver several times. Despite the need to define a cronjob to run it automatically, it´s quite comfortable to configure.

steven s

I used mysqldumper over the last years with my vb-board and it was a reliable life-saver several times. Despite the need to define a cronjob to run it automatically, it´s quite comfortable to configure.
There must have been something wrong with the way I used mysqldumper. mysqldumper was not saving my entire database. I found this out the hard way.

To anyone relying on a backup, I would test that backup on occasion.

borbole

Definitely.

We take a random backup and test quarterly. In addition to all the other initial testing that was done when setting up our backup systems.
Indeed. I do it like that as well. I am a tech admin on more than a dozen forums and I take a backup weekly of each of them and set it up at a test forum for the approrpiate site/forum to make sure that it is done properly and I can rely on it if the need to restore a backup would arise. That is the best way to go about it in my opinion. It saves a lot of headache down the road.

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I take a back up daily and then import it to my local install.

That way I have the latest DB on my local install and it verifies the integrity of the backup.

There must have been something wrong with the way I used mysqldumper. mysqldumper was not saving my entire database. I found this out the hard way.
If you run mysqldumper from within the browser-interface, it´s algorithms are working around a possible server-timeout (regarding scripts). So this option should function properly everytime.
If you run it as a cronjob, the server-timeout depends on the hoster. Maybe it´s too short to let mysqldumper do it´s job in full length. Huge databases perhaps exceed those timeouts.

But my experiences are relying solely on shared hosters with the corresponding restrictions.

Kuma

It will always be best to either get backup from mysqldump via the command line, a script that does this for you, or mysqlhotcopy. Everything else has risks of timing out now matter how careful you are.