XF 1.3 Backup fIle problem after domain name change

TheSalt

Hello Gang!

I have been doing some searching on how to change my forum domain name and to be honest it's very confusing to me. To be clear, I want to keep my forum and all it's content I just want a different ULR. Do I really need to move the database and reinstall xenforo on the server just to change my ULR? The idea of doing this and messing something up is terrifying.

Godaddy is my host and it is a shared server. I know no one likes godaddy, but I'm new to all this and it was a safe bet. Currently when I back up my forum I use the cpanel software godaddy provides. I tried looking into running a back up using code on the sever but it is way beyond my skill level. So I use the phpMyAdmin to backup the 'Database' and I use Backup Wizard to backup the 'Home Directory'. Do backing these two things up assure the forum will be put back together the same way on the new install if that is what I have to do?

I also have a custom theme/style running, do I need to backup/export that as well via ACP?

I know there is lots threads out there for this but I'm really looking for an idiots guide. Can someone explain this to me please?

Many Thanks,
Nick
www.californiareefs.com

Are you moving to another server, or you just changing the domain on a existing server? You said previously you aren't changing servers... then in reality the only changes you would need to do is update the Board URL in Admin CP and move the files to the correct directory (if need).

That is correct the same server... The problem is the root and it's content was erased. Now all I have when trying to fix is the backups. I have a huge problem...

Those are default error pages and codes.
Unrelated to the task at hand.

To restore your site you need to upload the original files from the other server/directory.
Then export/import the database.
Make any changes to config.php as required.

Brogan I genuinely appreciate your help but I don't fully understand what I'm doing different then what you are asking me to do. I'm honestly not arguing with you I just don't have any clue what I doing. I feel as if I doing exactly what you are telling me to but I could and probably am mistaken.

Should I try deleting the content of public_html again and pointing the original domain back at public_html and upload and install the backup database and directory files again?

Brogan I genuinely appreciate your help but I don't fully understand what I'm doing different then what you are asking me to do. I'm honestly not arguing with you I just don't have any clue what I doing. I feel as if I doing exactly what you are telling me to but I could and probably am mistaken.

Should I try deleting the content of public_html again and pointing the original domain back at public_html and upload and install the backup database and directory files again?
All you should need to do is make sure that your files are in /public_html (hopefully you have saved them all to your local PC)
If your DB already exists, you need to drop all tables in it and then upload your backup of your old DB (hopefully you have one of these also)
Once you do that, you should be in business. A simple URL (domain name) change should have been very easy to do and not involved ANY deleting/moving of files - just some cPanel edits.

I do have the database and directory backup files on my desktop. That is pretty much all I have. Every time I import the database back using phpMyAdmin I keep getting this error. I have tried changing the database and importing the old database into it and changing the config.php. I even tried deleting the old database because the other 'backup' import option godaddy is telling me to use on the cpanel doesn't allow you to pick the database you are saving too if you have more then one database. I'm in big trouble...

Screen Shot 2014-06-27 at 8.38.15 AM.webp

Last edited:
That doesn't look like a standard mySQL error... how exactly did you export your mySQL DB?
The first few lines of your exported SQL file should be similar to this:
Code:
-- MySQL dump 10.13  Distrib 5.6.17-66.0, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64)
--
-- Host: localhost    Database: srv_linux
-- ------------------------------------------------------
-- Server version       5.6.17-66.0-log

/*!40101 SET @OLD_CHARACTER_SET_CLIENT=@@CHARACTER_SET_CLIENT */;
/*!40101 SET @OLD_CHARACTER_SET_RESULTS=@@CHARACTER_SET_RESULTS */;
/*!40101 SET @OLD_COLLATION_CONNECTION=@@COLLATION_CONNECTION */;
/*!40101 SET NAMES utf8 */;
/*!40103 SET @OLD_TIME_ZONE=@@TIME_ZONE */;
/*!40103 SET TIME_ZONE='+00:00' */;
/*!40014 SET @OLD_UNIQUE_CHECKS=@@UNIQUE_CHECKS, UNIQUE_CHECKS=0 */;
/*!40014 SET @OLD_FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=@@FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS, FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=0 */;
/*!40101 SET @OLD_SQL_MODE=@@SQL_MODE, SQL_MODE='NO_AUTO_VALUE_ON_ZERO' */;
/*!40111 SET @OLD_SQL_NOTES=@@SQL_NOTES, SQL_NOTES=0 */;

This was done using mysqldump.

Using phpMyAdmin to perform a dump (export) it should look similar to this:
Code:
-- phpMyAdmin SQL Dump
-- version 3.4.11.1deb2
-- http://www.phpmyadmin.net
--
-- Host: localhost
-- Generation Time: Jun 27, 2014 at 02:38 PM
-- Server version: 5.6.17
-- PHP Version: 5.5.13-1~dotdeb.1

SET SQL_MODE="NO_AUTO_VALUE_ON_ZERO";
SET time_zone = "+00:00";

/*!40101 SET @OLD_CHARACTER_SET_CLIENT=@@CHARACTER_SET_CLIENT */;
/*!40101 SET @OLD_CHARACTER_SET_RESULTS=@@CHARACTER_SET_RESULTS */;
/*!40101 SET @OLD_COLLATION_CONNECTION=@@COLLATION_CONNECTION */;
/*!40101 SET NAMES utf8 */;

If it looks anything different, then you may not have exported your DB correctly.

Yes I used the phpMyAdmin, it looks like this. The SQL/database file is 53mb and the directory is 143mb compressed and 210.3 not compressed. <EDIT

Screen Shot 2014-06-27 at 1.04.02 PM.webp

Last edited:
Guys I cant begin to tell you how much I appreciate the time you are spending trying to help me but I need to step away. I have been trying to figure this out for the last 14 hours and I have been up the last 30. Please don't think I 'm ignoring you I'm just taking a break. Again, thank you so very much for your time. :)

Many thanks,
Nick

If nothing else, I can probably log into your cPanel and take a look. It really should not be that difficult to do... but to fully fix it would need to have the files. I could create a temp VPS that would allow you to upload them there via ftp... but that would take me a little bit to do.

Godaddy said they might be able to help me if I can give them a good database sql backup. Does anyone have one I can give them for an example?
See conversation... I just did a new install on your site (since the DB info will be replaced anyway) so they have a blank slate one there to compare to.
All they need to do is export it.

Top Bottom